- David Newton, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
CHARLOTTTE, N.C. -- Daytona 500 champion Trevor Bayne is set to return from his undisclosed illness in time for the May 21 All-Star race at Charlotte Motor Speedway, Roush Fenway Racing officials said Wednesday.
Bayne has missed the past two Nationwide Series races undergoing tests at the Mayo Clinic for what initially was thought to be symptoms from an insect bite he received last month, but is now believed to be something else.
He will sit out Saturday's Nationwide race at Dover while Kevin Swindell steps in after two weeks in which developmental driver Chris Buescher drove the No. 16 Ford. Buescher has committed to an ARCA race this weekend.
Although RFR officials say no conclusive diagnosis has been made by doctors, Bayne's symptoms -- a rash, swelling in the left elbow, fatigue and periods of being nauseated -- have subsided to the point it is safe for Bayne to return.
"We are going to exercise an element of caution with his return to the track and keep him out of competition for at least another week," RFR president Steve Newmark said in a release. "Trevor is itching to get back out on the race track and, although it's hard to keep someone with his passion away, we feel it is in his best interest to hold off for another week."
Bayne qualified for the All-Star race by winning the Daytona 500. He will drive the No. 21 for the Wood Brothers. The next day, he will drive in the Nationwide race for RFR at Iowa.
David Newton covers NASCAR for ESPN.com. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.