Armstrong to drive pace car at Indy 500
INDIANAPOLIS -- Legendary cyclist Lance Armstrong will have the honor of leading the field to the start of the 2006 Indianapolis 500.
|2006||Lance Armstrong||Chevrolet Corvette Z06|
|2005||Gen. Colin Powell||Chevrolet Corvette|
|2004||Morgan Freeman||Chevrolet Corvette C5|
|2003||Herb Fishel||Chevrolet SSR|
|2002||Jim Caviezel||Chevrolet Corvette|
|2001||Elaine Irwin-Mellencamp||Oldsmobile Bravada|
|2000||Anthony Edwards||Oldsmobile Aurora|
|Carl G. Fisher drove the first Indy pace car -- a Stoddard-Dayton -- in 1911. Sam Hanks (1958-63) and Jim Rathmann (1969, 72-74, 78, 82) share the honor of being selected to drive the pace car six times, the most in the history of the race.|
A seven-time winner of the Tour de France, Armstrong will drive the Chevrolet Corvette Pace Car in the May 28 event.
"We're proud that this year's Indianapolis 500 will showcase the new 505-horsepower Corvette Z06 and honored that it will be driven by another racing icon -- Lance Armstrong," Chevrolet general manager Ed Peper said.
Armstrong first beat cancer before winning the first of a record seven straight Tour de France titles in 1999. He retired following the 2005 race and continues to be a leader and activist on behalf of cancer survivors around the world.
"All I can say is that when we got a phone call to ask if I was interested in driving the Pace Car at Indy, it was a very short conversation," the 34-year-old Armstrong said. "It was like, 'Are you kidding? Of course.' It's a huge honor and something that I am very excited to do. Hopefully I cannot mess things up, if that's possible."
General Colin Powell, actor Morgan Freeman and comedian Jay Leno are among those who have driven the Pace Car at the Indianapolis 500.
• Live leaders. Cockpit views. Get IRL RaceCast
• Results | Standings | Schedule
• SN Chat: Sam Hornish Jr., Mon., 1:15 ET
• Hornish on Mike & Mike
• Oreovicz: Hornish finds speed to nip Andretti
• Watch: Hornish wins ... Memorable 500
• Watch: Andrettis come close again
• Oreovicz: Contenders lament losing
• Davis: Patrick improved | Watch
• Notebook: Debris flies into crowd
• Rovell: Can Patrick avoid being Anna-ized?
• Rosewater: Fisher still making her way back
• Schwarb: Cunningham's daring pass wins
• Rusty Nails It: Marco Andretti real deal
• Marlo Klain's video blog: Marco Andretti
• Comparing an Indy car to a Cup car
• Helyar: Cost of open-wheel split is high
• Helyar: New role model? Meet P.J. Chesson
• SN Chat Wrap: Wade Cunningham
• SN Chat Wrap: Michael Andretti
• SN Chat Wrap: Pole-winner Sam Hornish Jr.
• SN Chat Wrap: Castroneves and Hornish
• SN Chat Wrap: Danica Patrick
• SN Chat Wrap: Buddy Rice