Robert Yates Racing 'interested' in signing Kyle, Kurt Busch
DEARBORN, Mich. -- Add Robert Yates Racing to the list of teams interested in signing Kyle Busch to drive next season.
"I've sent word through his agent [that I would like to talk to him]," RYR co-owner Robert Yates said on Thursday during a Ford function. "I'm very interested."
Said Yates' son, Doug, "He would look good in a Ford."
RYR not only wants Kyle, but his brother Kurt.
But Kurt Busch has three years remaining on his deal with Penske Racing, and according to his agent has no plans to leave.
"That's flattering," said Kurt's agent, John Caponigro. "He's locked in at Penske. He's doing fine. He's looking forward to making the Chase this year and having lot of success at Penske Racing."
Kyle became available on Wednesday when it was announced that Dale Earnhardt Jr. was signed to replace him at Hendrick Motorsports next season and that the 22-year-old Busch has been given his release from the final year of his deal in 2008.
Bruce Kempton, who represents Kyle, said he's heard from just about every organization in the Nextel Cup garage. He said there had been no contact with RYR, but that his client was willing to listen to anyone.
Among the teams other than RYR that have expressed an interest in Kyle are the Chevrolet teams of Dale Earnhardt Inc. and Ginn Racing. While Busch has driven Chevrolets since he left Ford's Roush Racing after the 2001 Truck Series season, he is not married to the manufacturer.
"Today he was in Chicago doing some media stuff and he said, 'Look, Chevrolet is the only company I've been with, they've been great and they have great stuff and I'd like to stay with them, but I owe it to myself to look around,' " Kempton said.
Kempton said Kyle has not formally met with other teams and that it would be at least several weeks before any deal might materialize. He added that Kyle's primary focus is getting the No. 5 into the championship chase.
"We're really just getting started," said Kempton, whose client is 10th in the points standings heading into Sunday's race at Michigan. "We're going to be careful about evaluating everything.
"He's sincere about not taking anything away from doing everything he can for the [No.] 5 car. We'll fit these interview things in as we can and it'll be done when it's done."
David Newton and Angelique Chengalis are senior writers for ESPN.com.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Sources: Sterling, Ballmer have 'friendly' talk
- Big 12 chief rips NCAA, says 'cheating pays'
- FSU coach explains why Winston unpunished
- Carter: LeBron wasn't pushed to Cavaliers