Inside a Nextel Cup race car cockpit
Check out the controls and safety features of a NASCAR Nextel Cup race car.
1. Main switch panelContains switches for starter, ignition and cooling fans.
2. TachometerMonitors revolutions per minute (RPMs) of engine, assisting driver in selecting gears and monitoring engine power.
3. Engine gauge clusterMonitors engine oil pressure, water temperature, oil temperature, voltage and fuel pressure.
4. Auxiliary switchesCan serve a number of purposes, including turning on the backup ignition system, ventilating fans or helmet cooling system.
5. Master switchShuts down electrical system in emergency situations.
6. Ignition kill switchShuts off engine in emergency situations.
7. Radio buttonControls communication to pits and race spotter
8. GearshiftControls four-speed manual transmission.
9. Safety seatProvides extra support and protection for head, shoulders, ribs and lower extremities.
10. Head and neck restraintNASCAR mandates the use of a head-and-neck restraint system, the approved HANS Device.
11. Window netKeeps driver's left arm inside the car during accidents.
12. Rear view mirror
13. Fresh air ventDirects outside air into the driving compartment.
14. Main rear view mirror
15. Fire extinguisher
16. Seat belt harness
17. Fire extinguisher switchDischarges fire-suppressing chemicals into the driving compartment.
18. Fire extinguisher discharge nozzle
19. Helmet hook
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Wichita State reaches 34-0, wins MVC final
- Brooks: Durant could be scoring even more
- Keselowski passes Dale Jr., wins Las Vegas
- Tiger tweaks back, fades with birdie-less 78
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com