BARCELONA, Spain -- BAR-Honda will not appeal its two-race ban by Formula One's governing body, which ruled Jenson Button's car ran underweight in last month's San Marino Grand Prix.
"The conclusion is that nothing can be done to enable the team to race this weekend,'' BAR-Honda said Friday, adding that a challenge would "cause a level of disruption and damage to the sport which would not serve the best interests of everyone involved.''
The decision Thursday by the sport's international court of appeal will keep the team out of the Spanish Grand Prix on Sunday and the Monaco Grand Prix on May 22. BAR-Honda will return for the European Grand Prix on May 29 in Nurburgring, Germany.
Button's car was ruled to have run 11 pounds under the minimum 1,322 pounds at Imola.
"Once you analyze it clearly, there is no debate,'' said Max Mosely, the president of the governing International Automobile Federation.
Button was stripped of the six points he won for finishing third at Imola on April 24, and teammate Takuma Sato lost four points for finishing fifth. BAR-Honda also loses 10 points from the constructors' standings.
The deduction leaves BAR-Honda without a point from the season's four races. Renault leads with 46, followed by Toyota (29), McLaren (25) and Ferrari (18).
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Self 'confident' Embiid will play despite back
- Brooks: Durant could be scoring even more
- Tiger tweaks back, fades with birdie-less 78
- Retiring Mendenhall: Tired of life in NFL
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM