Allmendinger's IndyCar options open

Updated: March 4, 2011, 11:34 AM ET
Associated Press

AVONDALE, Ariz. -- Former open-wheel driver A.J. Allmendinger says he might be open to racing in IndyCar's season finale in Las Vegas for a chance at $5 million.

Allmendinger, who switched to NASCAR in 2008, says while driving in the Oct. 16 race is an unlikely scenario, the prize money would be good incentive to give it a try.

IndyCar announced last week that it will allow up to five qualified drivers from outside the series a chance to win $5 million if they're able to win the race.

Allmendinger, Juan Pablo Montoya and Tony Stewart have been mentioned as drivers who might give it a go because of their backgrounds in open-wheel racing. Former IndyCar champion Sam Hornish Jr., who lost his Sprint Cup ride this season, also could be a possibility.

Montoya said it would be logistically impossible since NASCAR races in Charlotte that same weekend. Stewart said he'd love to give it a shot, but it's unlikely since it would take three or four races of preparation to have a chance at winning, just like running at the Indianapolis 500.


Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press