Golden Boy buys into "The Ring"
He's won titles in six weight classes, shared the ring with some of the best fighters of his generation, and in his time off runs Golden Boy Enterprises. Oscar De La Hoya is also the proud owner of the venerable Ring magazine, a magazine he promises not to influence editorially, writes Dan Rafael.
• Former light heavyweight champ Antonio Tarver mostly likely will face Australian Danny Green and junior middleweight titlist Vernon Forrest will make his first defense against mandatory challenger Michele Piccirillo on a Dec. 3 Showtime card, Showtime boxing boss Ken Hershman told ESPN.com. The bouts will probably take place at the Foxwoods resort in Connecticut. Green is keeping his options open, though, and the bout hasn't been finalized yet. He has a TV date in Australia on Oct. 26, and his camp is talking to ex-super middleweight titlist Markus Beyer of Germany about going to Perth to fight in case the Tarver deal falls through.
• Now that Showtime's calendar for the year has been filled and there is no room for a proposed main event involving welterweight titlist Kermit Cintron, he will go back to his original plan: facing Jess Feliciano on the rescheduled Nov. 23 Fernando Vargas-Ricardo Mayorga Showtime PPV card. Cintron-Feliciano had been scheduled for the undercard when it was slated for Sept. 8, but when it was moved after Vargas became ill with anemia, Main Events explored other options for the Puerto Rican puncher.
• Ex-welterweight titlist Luis Collazo, coming off left hand surgery as a result of an injury suffered in his decision loss to Shane Mosley in February, returned to the gym this week, trainer Nirmal Lorick told ESPN.com. Lorick said Collazo will be ready fight later this fall and hopes promoter Don King can find a spot for him on one of his upcoming shows. One possible fight: an eliminator against Joshua Clottey, the winner of which would become Cintron's mandatory.
• Ex-junior lightweight titlist Jorge Barrios of Argentina, whose torn retinas were discovered during a routine physical, has been cleared to fight, Golden Boy vice president Eric Gomez told ESPN.com. The tears forced him to withdraw from a scheduled Sept. 15 fight against champion Juan Manuel Marquez. "The doctor cleared him to fight and he has started training again," Gomez said. "He's good. One of the tears was very minor, the other was a little more severe, but they were both cleared. He could be ready to fight in maybe a month." Gomez said he will have Barrios on standby to challenge titleholder Joan Guzman in a rematch on Nov. 17 in case Humberto Soto, who is supposed to fight Guzman, loses a tune-up fight in Mexico this weekend.
• Junior flyweight world champion Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon (29-0, 6 KOs) of Puerto Rico, who took a split decision against Mexico's Hugo Cazares (25-4-1, 19 KOs) Aug. 25 to win the recognized 108-pound title, will honor the rematch clause in their contract, Gomez told ESPN.com. Gomez said he got the word from Calderon promoter Peter Rivera this week. Under their agreement, Calderon will be allowed to take an interim defense while Golden Boy will give Cazares a fight before they rematch March or April.
• Manny Pacquiao, who has been working with trainer Freddie Roach at home in the distraction-filled Philippines, is scheduled to return to Roach's Wild Card Gym in Hollywood, Calif., on Sept. 22 to complete his training for an Oct. 6 rematch with Marco Antonio Barrera. Pacquiao, of course, was originally supposed to return to the U.S. on Aug. 25 and is notorious for skipping or "missing" scheduled returns.
• Tickets for the Dec. 8 showdown between pound-for-pound king and welterweight champ Floyd Mayweather and junior welterweight champ Ricky Hatton go on sale Monday at 1 p.m. ET through Ticketmaster (priced from $150 to $1,000). Fans are limited to two tickets apiece and the bout is expected to be a sellout. There are already media reports in Hatton's native England that there are nowhere near enough tickets to satisfy the legion of Hatton fans expected to travel to Las Vegas. The fighters embark on a media tour next week to promote the HBO PPV event. They'll open Monday in Los Angeles, head to Mayweather's hometown of Grand Rapids, Mich., on Tuesday and New York on Wednesday followed by two stops in England, Thursday in London and Friday in Manchester, Hatton's hometown.
• Although he won't be part of the HBO broadcast on Oct. 13 in suburban Chicago, Nate Campbell (31-5-1, 25 KOs), an overdue mandatory challenger for the winner of the main event, will stay busy on the undercard against Humberto Toledo (31-4-2, 19 KOs). Campbell won two elimination bouts in a row and has yet to receive his long-deserved title shot.
• Super middleweight contender Allan Green (25-1, 17 KOs), having recovered from surgery in July that included the removal of 85 percent of his colon, will return to action Oct. 19 in a 10-round untelevised bout in Miami, Okla., promoter Tony Holden's matchmaker, Bobby Dobbs, told ESPN.com. Despite being ill for months, Green fought Edison Miranda and lost a decision in March and then knocked out Darrell Woods in the first round on ESPN2 July 13. A couple of days later he had surgery.
• Top Rank announced that it has re-signed Maywood, Calif., lightweight Urbano Antillon (19-0, 12 KOs). Antillon will box Oct. 4 (Versus) at the Hard Rock in Las Vegas. Antillon got the valuable TV slot when heavyweight Audley Harrison and Top Rank could not come to an agreement on his opponent. Junior flyweight titlist Ulises "Archie" Solis of Mexico defends against mandatory challenger Bert Batawang of the Philippines in the main event.
• Two-time light heavyweight title challenger Paul Briggs (26-3, 18 KOs) of Australia suffered an ankle injury in training and has withdrawn from a fight scheduled for the Oct. 6 Oleg Maskaev-Samuel Peter card at New York's Madison Square Garden, according to Don King Productions.
• Condolences to promoter Dan Goossen, trainer Joe Goossen and the rest of one of boxing's first families on the death of matriarch Anna May Goossen, who died Sept. 10 in Los Angeles. She was 86. Mrs. Goossen had eight sons, two daughters, 34 grandchildren and 19 great grandchildren. A service celebrating her life is scheduled for Monday at St. Francis de Sales Church in Sherman Oaks, Calif.
Can't get enough of Rafael's wisdom? Check out his hard-hitting blog that keeps boxing Insiders informed about the latest happenings in boxing.
"This is unbelievably bad luck. I've been in intense preparations for nine weeks, had no problems whatsoever, and then a disc goes and slips in my last week of training."
-- Un-retiring ex-heavyweight titleholder Vitali Klitschko, who suffered a back injury and needed surgery last week, leading to the cancellation of his Sept. 22 comeback fight against Jameel McCline.