Commentary

Deandre Latimore dominates

Updated: April 17, 2011, 1:25 AM ET
By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com

MASHANTUCKET, Conn. -- Junior middleweight contender Deandre Latimore beat, battered and bloodied Dennis Sharpe for eight brutally one-sided rounds to win a shutout decision on the Andre Berto-Victor Ortiz undercard Saturday night at the MGM Grand Arena at the Foxwoods Resort Casino.

Latimore pummeled the slower, less skilled Sharpe almost at will. He landed combinations and hard body shots throughout the fight as Sharpe lost his seventh in a row (three of them by knockout). By the end of the fight, he was taking heavy head shots and blood was flying from his face every time Latimore landed a punch.

Latimore did not come close to knocking him down, although he rocked Sharpe (17-7-3, 4 KOs) with an uppercut in the seventh round. Latimore won 80-72 on all three scorecards, although some rounds were so one-sided the judges could have certainly called some 10-8 even though there were no knockdowns.

"I had a tough, strong opponent in Sharpe," Latimore said. "I didn't go for the knockout because I needed to get the rust off after a nine-month layoff."

Latimore, 25, won his second fight in a row as he works his way back to what he hopes will be another opportunity for a world title fight after falling short in his two most notable fights.

The St. Louis native lost a majority decision to Sechew Powell in a title eliminator two fights ago and, in his only title bout, dropped a split decision to hometown rival Cory Spinks in April 2009.

While Latimore (22-3, 17 KOs) hopes he can get a title fight, he is positioned for a possible eliminator against Erislandy Lara or Carlos Molina, who fought to a draw last month. But he called out the man he really wants.

"I am looking to fight Paul Williams next," Latimore said of Williams, who is due to return to HBO on July 9.

Sharpe, 36, of Bayonne, N.J., who has not won since 2004, was off from mid-2007 to 2011, when he came back in February and was stopped in the fourth round by middleweight prospect Peter Quillin.

Dulorme scores sensational knockout

Last month, on the undercard of middleweight champ Sergio Martinez's defense against Sergiy Dzinziruk at Foxwoods, welterweight prospect Thomas Dulorme turned in a blistering performance in his second-round knockout of Guillermo Valdes.

Returning to the same ring for his next fight, the 21-year-old Dulorme, an outstanding-looking prospect from Puerto Rico, scored an even more impressive victory in a sensational one-punch second-round knockout of Harrison Cuello of Albany, N.Y.

Dulorme (11-0, 10 KOs), with speed and power, dominated the opening round and scored a flash knockdown in the second round. After the fight resumed following the knockdown, Dulorme pulverized Cuello (20-16-3, 15 KOs) with a brutal straight left hand that landed dead on his chin and knocked him out cold, flat on his back, at 1 minute, 27 seconds.

Referee John Callas called it off without a count in order to get medical attention into the ring immediately. Cuello, who lost his third fight in a row and fourth in his last five bouts, was down for several minutes and given oxygen. Although he was moving and alert, he was taken from the ring on a stretcher as a precaution.

• Winter Haven, Fla., welterweight prospect Joseph Elegele (12-0, 10 KOs), who fights out of the Berto camp, scored two knockdowns and knocked out Angel Hernandez (14-10, 11 KOs) of Gary, Ind., at 2 minutes, 54 seconds of the second round. Elegele, who sparred with Berto to help get him ready for his main event, dropped Hernandez to all fours with a right hand in the first round and then ended it with a punishing body shot in the second round.

• In a female heavyweight fight, 223-pound New Yorker Sonya Lamonakis (5-0, 1 KO) outslugged 285-pound Gigi Jackson (2-2, 0 KOs) of Columbus, Ohio. Lamonakis, a school teacher, brought a vocal crowd just as she did when she fought here last month on the undercard of the Martinez-Dzinziruk fight. She did enough against Jackson to win 40-36 and 39-37 (twice).

• New Haven, Conn., featherweight Luis Rosa Jr. (6-0, 5 KOs) used a heavy body attack to stop Joseliz Cepeda (4-2, 0 KOs) of Newark, N.J., at 1:12 of the fifth round in an action-packed fight scheduled for six. Rosa and Cepeda traded shots at close quarters for most of the fight, but Rosa was systematically breaking him down. Cepeda was dropped twice by left hooks in the fifth round, taking the full count on one knee after the second one.

• In the first fight of the night, super middleweight J'Leon Love (6-0, 5 KOs) of Dearborn Heights, Mich., routed no-hoper J.C. Peterson (1-11, 0 KOs) of Fort Myers, Fla., knocking him down and finishing him at 2:13 of the second round.