Mayorga had been cleared in December
MANAGUA, Nicaragua -- Ricardo Mayorga will be retried on rape charges after an appeals court on Monday overturned an earlier decision that cleared the former welterweight champion and ordered a new trial.
The spokeswoman for the Appeals Court of Managua, Ruth Tapia, told The Associated Press that the original decision was voided because "the process wasn't correct."
Arbel Medina, an attorney for Mayorga's accuser, had argued that the judge that heard the case was biased against his client.
Tapia said a new, public trial would be conducted before a different judge. No date was immediately set.
Medina applauded Monday's decision, saying the December trial was unfair.
In December, judge Julio Cesar Areas cleared Mayorga after a 17-hour hearing.
An unidentified 22-year-old woman accused Mayorga of raping her at a Managua hotel in September. Mayorga acknowledged having sex with the woman but said it was consensual.
The boxer's attorney, Sergio Morales, said the woman brought the complaint for financial gain.
Mayorga was arraigned shortly before his Oct. 2 loss to Felix Trinidad in a middleweight bout in New York.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE BOXING HEADLINES
- Trout-Grajeda set for Dec. 11 ESPN special
- Stevenson settles for fight against Sukhotsky
- Dulorme-Lundy added to Lemieux-Rosado card
- Murray win sets up fight with champ Golovkin