Berbick's nephew charged in killing of ex-champ

11/6/2006 - Boxing

KINGSTON, Jamaica -- A 20-year-old nephew of former
heavyweight champion Trevor Berbick and another man have been
charged with beating him to death and leaving his body in a church
courtyard, police said Friday.

Harold Berbick, who had been involved in a land dispute with his
uncle, allegedly killed him as part of the long-running feud,
police Sgt. Jubert Llewellyn said.

The nephew and Kenton Gordon, an 18-year-old from the same
eastern region of the Caribbean island, were detained earlier this
week and charged late Thursday. At a court hearing Friday, they
were ordered to remain in custody in Portland parish, about 80
miles east of Kingston.

They confessed to the crime during an interrogation, said
Detective Sgt. Kenneth Bailey of the Port Antonio police. A
telephone call seeking comment from Berbick's lawyer was not
immediately returned; Gordon does not have an attorney. Their next
court appearance is set for Nov. 7.

The body of Berbick, who was believed to be 51, was discovered
Oct. 28 outside a Portland church. Berbick grew up in the area and
returned to live there following his deportation from the United
States in 2002.

Berbick was the last boxer to face Muhammad Ali in the ring and
briefly held the WBC heavyweight title before losing it to Mike
Tyson in 1986.

The retired fighter died from multiple blows to the back of his
head, police said. A 2-inch-thick metal pipe recovered from the
scene was believed to be the weapon used.

The nephew's mother, who also feuded with Berbick, was detained
for questioning and released, police said.

Berbick was charged with larceny for breaking into his
sister-in-law's house in 2002 and was later cleared. Earlier this
year, Berbick was charged with assault for allegedly punching the

The two suspects were charged with murder. At the Nov. 7 hearing
in Portland, a magistrate is to determine whether to upgrade the
charge to capital murder, which could lead to more severe
penalties, including life sentences.

Berbick fought at the 1976 Montreal Olympics. He defeated Ali by
unanimous decision in the famed champion's final bout in 1981.
Berbick won the WBC heavyweight title in 1985 with a decision over
Pinklon Thomas, but Tyson -- who was then 20 -- knocked out Berbick
in the second round on Nov. 22, 1986, to become the youngest
heavyweight champ.

Berbick fought from 1976 to 2000, finishing with a record of
50-11 with one draw and 33 knockouts.

Following his retirement from the ring, Berbick was convicted in
the U.S. for sexual assault, grand theft and burglary.