Lewis shoots down reports of return to ring
LONDON -- Former world heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis has denied reports that he is planning a comeback at the age of 41 to fight Ukrainian Vitali Klitschko.
"Although I'm flattered that the boxing community is eager to have me back in the ring, I have no plans to return," Lewis said in a statement on his Web site.
"I have no idea how these rumors get started but I am a man of my word, I will remain retired."
The latest speculation began after American fight promoter Bob Arum reportedly said he understood Lewis had been discussing a fight with Klitschko.
Lewis, who retired three years ago after beating Klitschko in six rounds, is the third man to retire while still world heavyweight champion. Gene Tunney and Rocky Marciano also retired while holding the heavyweight title.
Information from The Associated Press and Reuters is included in this report
MORE BOXING HEADLINES
- Promoter postpones London card until July 20
- Cotto targeting Sept. 28 for possible return
- Andrade to have 1st world title shot on July 6
- Alexander was fighting with broken hand