Gamboa defeats De Jesus; Barthelemy wins decision over Hudgins
HOLLYWOOD, Fla. -- Cuban defectors and 2004 Olympic gold medalists Yuriorkis Gamboa and Yan Barthelemy won their first professional fights in the United States on Tuesday night.
Gamboa scored a sixth-round technical knockout over Brazil's Adailton De Jesus at the Hard Rock Live Arena an hour after Barthelemy won a unanimous decision over Kevin Hudgins on the same card.
Gamboa's speed and power overwhelmed De Jesus during their junior-lightweight bout.
Early in the sixth, Gamboa (7-0, 6 KOs) rocked De Jesus with a right to the head. A staggered De Jesus retreated to a corner, where Gamboa followed with a flurry of unanswered combinations.
Referee Frank Santore stopped the bout 35 seconds into the round.
"I wanted to show my people that I could maintain my dominance over a longer fight," Gamboa said. "The other fights I have won by knockout usually lasted one or two rounds.
"We have been waiting for this opportunity for a long time and we were proud of having the crowd support us."
Gamboa weighed 129 pounds for the bout, one more than De Jesus.
Barthelemy's speed frustrated Hudgins throughout the four-round bantamweight bout. Barthelemy (3-0) scored repeatedly with lefts to the head.
The 25-year-old sealed his victory with a busy fourth round of lead right jabs and follow-up lefts to the head. Barthelemy, who weighed in at 117, a pound lighter than his opponent, won on all three judges' scorecards, 40-35.
"It was my first fight in four months so I was anxious at first," said Barthelemy, who arrived in Miami last month after living in Germany since March. "I know I need to keep working harder."
Barthelemy and Gamboa, along with heavyweight Odlanier Solis, defected from the Cuban team while on a tour in Venezuela last December. They signed professional contracts with a German based promoter.
The three fighters fought their early professional matches in Germany and Turkey.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE BOXING HEADLINES
- FNF season opens with Mendez-Barthelemy
- Tyson barred from Britain, scraps London stop
- Ex-lightweight titleholder Jauregui dies at 40
- Gonzalez-Mares II set to take place Feb. 15