Junior middleweight titleholder Vernon Forrest suffered a training injury and has withdrawn from a May 1 nontitle bout with Jason LeHoullier, Forrest promoter Gary Shaw told ESPN.com on Saturday.
"Rib injury, he will be OK," Shaw said in an e-mail.
Forrest (41-3, 29 KOs) was supposed to face LeHoullier in a 10-round bout on a "ShoBox" tripleheader on Showtime in a fight that was designed to serve as a tuneup for an August meeting with mandatory challenger and interim belt-holder Sergio Martinez.
Forrest, 38, has previously been hampered by shoulder and elbow problems, which kept the former welterweight champion out of action for extended periods during the past few years.
The remainder of Shaw's card at the Chumash resort in Santa Ynez, Calif., remains intact with welterweight Carlos Abregu facing Irving Garcia in the 10-round main event, and lightweight Marvin Quintero meeting Wes Ferguson in the scheduled eight-round opener.
Dan Rafael is ESPN.com's boxing writer.