Chavez Jr. out of fight after rib injury

Updated: July 19, 2009, 5:42 PM ET
By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com

Unable to overcome a rib injury, junior middleweight Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. was scratched Sunday from the main event of Top Rank's "Latin Fury 10" pay-per-view card.

Chavez, the son of Mexican legend Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., was due to face Jason LeHoullier on Saturday in Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico, in the 10-round headline match. However, Top Rank announced that Chavez suffered a rib injury while training on Wednesday and would be unable to fight. The company canceled a news conference scheduled to promote the fight on Monday in Los Angeles.

But the show will go on with two previously scheduled title bouts. Lightweight Urbano Antillon (26-0, 19 KOs), of Maywood, Calif., will meet Miguel Acosta (25-9-2, 19 KOs) of Venezuela for a vacant interim belt in the new main event. Also, junior flyweight titleholder Giovani Segura (20-1-1, 16 KOs) of Bell Gardens, Calif., will defend his belt against the Philippines' Sonny Boy Jaro (30-7-5, 19 KOs).

Chavez's injury is the second major hit to the show. Interim featherweight titleholder Yuriorkis Gamboa, the electrifying 2004 Cuban Olympic gold medalist, was supposed to make his first defense against Whyber Garcia. But last week, Gamboa was scratched because he was unable to secure the proper paperwork for a work visa.

Chavez (39-0-1, 29 KOs) had been training in Big Bear, Calif., and has not been able to throw punches effectively since suffering the injury. He tried to work through it, but was ordered by his doctor to stop training until it heals, Top Rank said.

Top Rank said Chavez was expected to be out until September or October.

The two other televised bouts are junior bantamweight Alberto Rosas, of Mexico, against Costa Rica's Alejandro Martinez and Mexico's Hernan Marquez (24-0, 18 KOs) facing countryman Juan Esquer (25-5-1, 19 KOs) in a flyweight fight.

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.