Arum fails to reach Mayweather deal
MIAMI -- World champion Manny Pacquiao's promoter will choose another opponent for Pacquiao after failing to reach a deal for a WBO welterweight title bout with Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Talks between Bob Arum's Top Rank and Mayweather's Golden Boy promoters have stalled over the issue of random blood testing, demanded by Mayweather's team and rejected by Pacquiao.
Arum said he was operating under a Monday deadline for Golden Boy to accept a "final offer" in which both sides let the Nevada State Athletic Commission make the final decision on testing.
Leonard Ellerbe, CEO of Mayweather Promotions, said that there was no question of accepting that proposal.
"Random is random. We are not backing off and the ball is in their court," Ellerbe said Monday.
Arum said if that was the stance of the Mayweather team then he would announce another opponent for March.
"If that is the case then [Tuesday] morning we will announce who Manny will fight on March 13 and it won't be Floyd Mayweather," Arum told Reuters.
Arum has previously identified former junior welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi as the likely replacement for Mayweather but said it would be a blow to the sport not to have the bout take place.
"It's terrible," Arum said. "Mayweather and his people have never cared about the good of boxing and it is Manny that has brought boxing back. Is this a loss for boxing? Is this a missed opportunity? Of course it is."
Pacquiao won the WBO title in November by stopping holder Miguel Cotto in the 12th round in Las Vegas.
MORE BOXING HEADLINES
- FNF season opens with Mendez-Barthelemy
- Tyson barred from Britain, scraps London stop
- Ex-lightweight titleholder Jauregui dies at 40
- Gonzalez-Mares II set to take place Feb. 15