Shannon Briggs sues management firm
NEW YORK -- Heavyweight boxer Shannon Briggs has sued his management company, claiming he has not been paid most of the $750,000 promised to him for last year's title bout against Vitali Klitschko that left him hospitalized.
The lawsuit filed Tuesday in New York state court seeks unspecified damages from The Empire Sports and Entertainment and its executives.
The then-38-year-old former heavyweight champ was battered for 12 rounds Oct. 16 in a WBC title bout in Hamburg, Germany, losing in a unanimous decision. The suit says Briggs has only received $25,000 for the fight that left him hospitalized for 12 days and "likely ended his boxing career."
Briggs also claims The Empire's executives maneuvered to improperly eliminate his ownership stake in the company.
Hall of Fame manager Shelly Finkel, The Empire's CEO, calls the suit "ridiculous." He said the defendants had not been served with the complaint, and that their lawyers would handle questions once that happened.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press