Joel Casamayor injured in accident
Former lightweight champion Joel Casamayor suffered minor injuries in a car accident and withdrew from a July 29 fight, paving the way for the junior welterweight title eliminator between Victor Cayo and Lamont Peterson -- which had been postponed for the second time earlier this week -- to be recheduled Friday to take the place of Casamayor's bout.
Casamayor was driving in Miami on Tuesday when a garbage truck ran a red light and hit the car, Warriors Boxing promoter Leon Margules told ESPN.com Friday night, after he worked out the details to reschedule Cayo-Peterson.
Margules said the driver of the truck was ticketed but uninjured. A passenger riding in Casamayor's vehicle was also uninjured.
"Joel has a bad back and sore ribs. He may have broken a rib or two, but he's OK," Margules said. "He's very, very sore. Obviously, he can't fight. The doctor told him no training for about a month."
Rafael's Boxing Blog
Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.
Casamayor (38-5-1, 22 KOs) was scheduled to face Jorge Teron (25-2-1, 17 KOs) in a scheduled 10-round junior welterweight fight at The Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas in the opening bout of the ESPN2 "Friday Night Fights" card.
With Casamayor injured, Margules, with the help of a bump in the license fee from ESPN, was able to move Peterson-Cayo one week.
They had been scheduled to meet July 23 in Las Vegas on the undercard of the Amir Khan-Zab Judah 140-pound unification fight. However, the fight fell apart because Margules and Golden Boy Promotions, which wanted to put it on the Khan-Judah undercard, could not work out the final details on the option agreement between them in the event Cayo, Margules' fighter, won.
Peterson (28-1-1, 14 KOs) is a free agent, but Golden Boy would have had his rights had the fight been signed for July 23, Margules said.
The winner of Peterson-Cayo will become a mandatory challenger for the Khan-Judah winner. After the July 23 date fell apart, the fight was due to go to a purse bid on July 5.
"Both guys were still training and when the fight fell out (earlier in the week) I called Cayo and told him to stay in the gym," Margules said. "Then when we had a chance to put it on July 29, I called (Peterson manager and trainer) Barry Hunter and told him we could go to purse bid on July 5 or we could just make a deal and get it done on July 29. They wanted to get the fight on."
This is the third time Peterson-Cayo has been scheduled. It was originally supposed to take place April 29 on "Friday Night Fights," but was postponed because Cayo (26-1, 18 KOs) suffered a shoulder injury in training.
The July 29 ESPN2 card has gone through several changes. It was originally supposed to be headlined by former unified lightweight titlist Juan Diaz making his return from a year off to face David Torres with Casamayor-Teron on the undercard.
But shortly after Diaz signed a contract, he decided to retire and accepted admittance to law school.
Margules quickly put together a light heavyweight main event between Colombian slugger Edison Miranda (34-5, 29 KOs), a former middleweight and super middleweight title challenger, and former Cuban amateur standout Yordanis Despaigne (8-1, 4 KOs). That fight remains on the card.
Dan Rafael covers boxing for ESPN.com. Follow him on Twitter.