He was the oldest and the first of them to turn pro, 20 years ago, at the precocious age of 16. He's the one many tennis fans initially would have tabbed Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust.
Fooled you. Instead of going up in flames, Andre Agassi burned his athletic candle at both ends. He is the last of his fabled generation still playing, and when he shoulders his racket bag after his final match at the U.S. Open, he'll formally end an era in American men's tennis that may be impossible ...
Read full story
Last Title: Los Angeles (2005)
Grand Slams: 8
Career W-L: 868-273
• DeSimone: Agassi was the best sound byte
• Career photo gallery
• Garber: Agassi gave until his body gave out
• Agassi's career ends with four-set loss to Becker
• Lorge: Evolution and appreciation of Agassi
• Faulkner: Who is Benjamin Becker?
• Garber: Decision to play on the right one
• DeSimone: Respect and urgency
• Agassi knocks off Baghdatis in second round
• DeSimone: Night of stars capped with win
• Agassi beats Pavel, Baghdatis up next
• Looking for long goodbye
• Big names cede spotlight
• Andre draws Andrei (Pavel) in first round
• DeSimone on the Fab Five
• By the numbers
• Player comments