Decision to play on the right one
When Andre Agassi said he was going to play the 2006 season, there were groans all over. On Thursday, he proved that he made the right decision to play on, writes Greg Garber.
NEW YORK -- For the aging Baby Boomer, retirement is a delicate balance of time and money. The lucky ones are able to dictate their terms. For athletes, free will is rarely a factor. When the body quits on them, there is no choice. Not surprisingly, the celebrated competitors tend to linger as long as their limbs will let them.
Because we are fans, and emotionally involved, we feel their pain acutely when they perform below the scintillating standard they have set. It can be difficult ...
Read full story
Andre Agassi Retirement Perspective
Last Title: Los Angeles (2005)
Grand Slams: 8
Career W-L: 868-273
• DeSimone: Agassi was the best sound byte
• Career photo gallery
• Garber: Agassi gave until his body gave out
• Agassi's career ends with four-set loss to Becker
• Lorge: Evolution and appreciation of Agassi
• Faulkner: Who is Benjamin Becker?
• Garber: Decision to play on the right one
• DeSimone: Respect and urgency
• Agassi knocks off Baghdatis in second round
• DeSimone: Night of stars capped with win
• Agassi beats Pavel, Baghdatis up next
• Looking for long goodbye
• Big names cede spotlight
• Andre draws Andrei (Pavel) in first round
• DeSimone on the Fab Five
• By the numbers
• Player comments