Agassi gave until his body gave out
Andre Agassi gave every last ounce he could muster in the final match of his career. In return, the crowd reciprocated, Greg Garber writes.
NEW YORK -- Andre Agassi is only 36 years old, but these final days he has shuffled around like a senior citizen, limping into restaurants, hobbling through the hallways underneath Arthur Ashe Stadium. Four injections in five days did little to quiet the shrieking pain in his back.
He was unseeded here and his one-time No. 1 world ranking has slipped to No. 39. And yet, when he stepped onto center court for his first two matches, the eight-time Grand Slam champion came alive. Elevated by ...
Read full story
Andre Agassi Retirement Perspective
Last Title: Los Angeles (2005)
Grand Slams: 8
Career W-L: 868-273
• DeSimone: Agassi was the best sound byte
• Career photo gallery
• Garber: Agassi gave until his body gave out
• Agassi's career ends with four-set loss to Becker
• Lorge: Evolution and appreciation of Agassi
• Faulkner: Who is Benjamin Becker?
• Garber: Decision to play on the right one
• DeSimone: Respect and urgency
• Agassi knocks off Baghdatis in second round
• DeSimone: Night of stars capped with win
• Agassi beats Pavel, Baghdatis up next
• Looking for long goodbye
• Big names cede spotlight
• Andre draws Andrei (Pavel) in first round
• DeSimone on the Fab Five
• By the numbers
• Player comments