Sharapova never got gloves on in semifinal loss
Maria Sharapova is often called one of the best fighters in the women's game. But against Ana Ivanovic, she never got the gloves on, writes Bonnie DeSimone.
PARIS -- Maria Sharapova graded herself on the curve Thursday, and she had a decent argument. Her 6-2, 6-1 loss to Serbia's Ana Ivanovic in the French Open semifinal might have woken the echoes of her recent maulings at the hands of Serena Williams in the Australian Open final and the round of 16 in Miami.
But Sharapova wasn't supposed to be in the Roland Garros semifinal in the first place, for a variety of reasons. Clay is not her preferred playground and she ...
Read full story
2007 FRENCH OPEN
May 27-June 10
Women: Justine Henin
Men: Rafael Nadal
• Henin wins third straight title
• DeSimone: Henin's personal journey
• Garber: Third set hard to come by in final
• Top 10 facts about Henin
• Federer-Nadal daily watch
• Making the case for Rafa, Roger
• It's Federer vs. Nadal in French Open final
• Garber: Another record for Roger
• DeSimone: Rafa rolling toward third final
• DeSimone: Ivanovic coach-free for final
• Who will win women's final?