Mach Ride tunes up for Vosburgh
MIAMI -- Mach Ride, one of two Breeders' Cup candidates currently stabled at Calder, along with Take D' Tour, got back to serious business last week as he continues to prepare for the Grade 1 Vosburgh Handicap at Belmont Park on Sept. 30.
The Vosburgh will be Mach Ride's final prep before the BC Sprint on Oct. 27.
Mach Ride worked a half-mile in company with stablemate Blue Pepsi Lodge in 48.00 seconds here Wednesday morning. It was the first official work for the nationally ranked sprinter since his second-place finish in the Calder Turf Sprint Championship on Aug. 11.
"It's pretty much my normal schedule," said Standridge. "He usually doesn't work for about 30 days after a race. He's fit enough at this point. I thought his work Wednesday was tremendous. We are right on schedule for the Vosburgh. I'll bring him back and breeze him five furlongs next week, give him a little blowout a few days later, and put him on the plane."
Mach Ride's stock has risen meteorically since Standridge equipped the 4-year-old with blinkers earlier this summer. The horse vaulted to the upper echelon of the nation's sprint division following his easy victory in the Smile Sprint Handicap on July 15 over a field that included former division leader Smokey Stover.
MORE HORSE RACING HEADLINES
- Sky Kingdom to face 10 in Cougar II Handicap
- Commanding Curve on rail for Curlin Stakes
- Untapable breezes ahead of $1 million Haskell
- Will Take Charge works five furlongs for Whitney
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
BREEDERS' CUP CHALLENGE
For the first time, the winner of each of 25 selected Breeders' Cup Challenge races will automatically earn a start in the corresponding division of the Breeders' Cup World Championships at Monmouth Park on Oct. 26 & 27 on ESPN. This year, "Win and You're In" ...
Already InOak Tree: October 7
• Spinster: Panty Raid has Cup options
• Ancient Title: Ideal trip sets up Idiot Proof
• Tough Tiz's Sis first in First Lady
• Out of Control anything but in Oak Tree Mile
Keeneland: October 6
• War Pass wires field in Champagne
• Shadwell Turf: Purim tops off day of upsets
• Wicked Style wires Breeders' Futurity
• Vacare wears down 'Kitten' in First Lady
• Phoenix: Off Duty outlasts Rebellion
Belmont: September 30
• Curlin reels in Lawyer Ron to win Gold Cup
• English Channel repeats in Joe Hirsch Turf
• Fabulous Strike impresses in Vosburgh
• Unbridled Belle nips Indian Vale to take Beldame
• Goodwood (9/29, Oak Tree): Tiago gets in
Del Mar: August 19
• Pacific Classic: Student Council schools field
• Crossing the Line fires big in Del Mar Mile
• Greg's Gold takes Pat O'Brien
Arlington Park: August 11
• Perfect trip for Jambalaya in Arlington Million
• Royal Highness queen of the Beverly D.
• Shamdinan impresses in Secretariat
Saratoga: July 28
• Whitney: Lawyer Ron romps, earns BC berth
• Diana: My Typhoon earns Breeders' Cup slot
• Go For Wand: Ginger Punch wins by six
• Vanderbilt: Diabolical runs down Attila's Storm
Sha Tin Race Course: April 29
• Champions Mile: Able One first to qualify
Finley: Challenge Fallout
• Zito sips Champagne again, BC Juvenile next?
• Curlin rebounds, tops huge weekend of Cup preps
• Student Council still enigma after Pacific Classic
• Jamabalya takes Million, is Cup bound in Week 2
• Lawyer Ron's record win highlights Week 1
Plonk: Breeders' Cup Hits & Misses