Gio Ponti wins third G1 in a row
Updated: July 11, 2009, 9:37 PM ETBy Mike Farrell | Daily Racing Form
Gio Ponti extended his Grade 1 winning streak to three with a 1 3/4-length win over Musketier on Saturday in the $500,000 Man o' War Stakes on the turf at Belmont Park.
The run of Grade 1's started with the Frank Kilroe, going one mile at Santa Anita.
Back at Belmont, where he is now 4 for 5, Gio Ponti rallied from last in a 12-horse field to take the Manhattan Handicap at 1 1/4 miles on the Belmont Stakes undercard.
The Man o' War at 1 3/8 miles was the most decisive victory of the trio for Gio Ponti, a 4-year-old colt who has emerged as the nation's leading grass runner.
"It just confirms that at the moment, I'm afraid, he's got to be the leader of the turf division here," said trainer Christophe Clement. "He's just a very nice horse. That's the great thing about good horses, they overcome a few things."
Racing closer to the pace than usual, Gio Ponti ($6.30) and jockey Ramon Dominguez had a wide but clear trip throughout, while Musketier, under pressure from Midships, set a moderate pace.
Asked for his run on the final turn, Gio Ponti advanced steadily with a five-wide move before unleashing his usual potent kick in the lane.
"I was very happy with the fact that I was close, knowing that they were going very slow and having my horse so relaxed," Dominguez said. "I was not happy about the fact I was very wide and also I was in the clear, which is not really ideal for these turf horses. But he was always relaxed and he proved that he's a runner. I was very impressed and very pleased with the way he finished."
It was another strong effort for Gio Ponti, owned by Castleton Lyons Farm, against a quality field that included five other Grade 1 winners.
Musketier held on gamely for second as Quijano got third followed by Chinchon, Grand Couturier, Marsh Side, Interpatation, Dancing Forever, and Midships.
The time was 2:12.56 on the firm course.
The Man o' War was Dominguez's fourth winner on the card.
MORE HORSE RACING HEADLINES
- Dance With Fate dead after accident at Del Mar
- Untapable draws Post 7 as G1 Haskell favorite
- Tonalist, Wicked Strong top Grade 2 Jim Dandy
- Frac Daddy now favorite for San Diego Handicap
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
November 6 & 7
• Zenyatta wins Classic, stays perfect
• Conduit repeats in Breeders' Cup Turf
• Longshot Furthest Land takes Dirt Mile
• Goldikova repeats in BC Mile
• Vale of York stuns Juvenile field
• Dancing in Silks upsets Sprint
• California Flag flies in Turf Sprint
• Pounced jumps on Juvenile Turf win
• Life is Sweet best in Ladies' Classic
• Informed Decision wins F&M Sprint
• Midday takes inside route in F&M Turf
• She Be Wild takes Juvenile Fillies
• Tapitsfly outduels in Juv. Fillies Turf
• Man of Iron captures BC Marathon