Nite Light wires Fall Championship
Updated: September 12, 2009, 6:58 PM ETBy Marty McGee | Daily Racing Form
Nite Light led through all three turns and all 12 furlongs when posting an easy victory Saturday in the 60th running of the Grade 3, $100,000 Turfway Park Fall Championship.
Ridden by Jon Court, Nite Light broke sharpest in the field of six older horses and was never seriously threatened thereafter in earning a ticket to the Breeders' Cup. The 1 1/2-mile Fall Championship, run over Polytrack at the Florence, Ky., track, is a Win and You're In event toward the $500,000 BC Marathon on Nov. 7 at Santa Anita.
Nite Light returned $4.40 as favorite after finishing in 2:32.55. Todd Pletcher trains the 5-year-old horse by Thunder Gulch for owner Edward Evans.
Alaazo, also trained by Pletcher, finished second, 5 3/4 lengths behind the winner, followed by Dominican, Gangbuster, Eleuterio, and Ran Ran Ran. Lord Kipling and Super Class were early scratches.
Nite Light redeemed himself for a fifth-place finish as the 3-10 favorite in his last start, the July 18 Greenwood Cup at Philadelphia Park, when posting his sixth win from 14 career starts. His record also includes front-running scores in a pair of three-turn stakes at Aqueduct late in his 3-year-old season.
November 6 & 7
• Zenyatta wins Classic, stays perfect
• Conduit repeats in Breeders' Cup Turf
• Longshot Furthest Land takes Dirt Mile
• Goldikova repeats in BC Mile
• Vale of York stuns Juvenile field
• Dancing in Silks upsets Sprint
• California Flag flies in Turf Sprint
• Pounced jumps on Juvenile Turf win
• Life is Sweet best in Ladies' Classic
• Informed Decision wins F&M Sprint
• Midday takes inside route in F&M Turf
• She Be Wild takes Juvenile Fillies
• Tapitsfly outduels in Juv. Fillies Turf
• Man of Iron captures BC Marathon