Magical Fantasy keeps winning
Updated: October 10, 2009, 9:43 PM ETBy Steve Andersen | Daily Racing Form
ARCADIA, Calif. -- The win streak that Magical Fantasy has compiled since last spring was extended to four in Saturday's $300,000 Yellow Ribbon Stakes at Santa Anita.
With the win in the Grade 1 race, Magical Fantasy confirmed her status as the undisputed leading turf female in California this year. Now, she gets to take on some of the world's finest in that division in the Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Turf here Nov. 6. The Yellow Ribbon win guarantees a berth in the Filly and Mare Turf as part of the Win and You're In program.
Co-owner Chuck Winner is hoping that a home-course advantage will help Magical Fantasy in the biggest race of her career next month.
"She'll need to do it again," Winner said. "Today was so tough. There was no pace, as expected. She always seems to overcome trouble or have to find her way through a difficult path, but she does it."
Ridden by Alex Solis, Magical Fantasy rallied from sixth on the backstretch, ran four wide on the turn, and wore down a stubborn Visit to win the Yellow Ribbon by a half-length. Solis guided Magical Fantasy closer to the front at the end of the backstretch and got a quick response.
"Alex played it exactly right," Winner said.
Black Mamba, who was seventh early, finished a nose behind Visit, the third consecutive year she has been third in the Yellow Ribbon.
Charming Legacy, who set a pace of 24.02 and 47.58 seconds, faded to finish sixth. Internallyflawless, who won the Grade 1 Del Mar Oaks in August, was third on the backstretch but finished last.
Magical Fantasy ($4.40) ran 1 1/4 miles on turf in 1:59.59, over the same course and distance as the BC Filly and Mare Turf.
Magical Fantasy, 4, has won 6 of 17 starts and $1,039,231. Trained by Paddy Gallagher, for Winner, David Bienstock, and Paul Mandabach, Magical Fantasy is in the best form of her career. Her current winning streak began in the Grade 2 Santa Barbara here last April and includes the Grade 1 Gamely Stakes at Hollywood Park and Grade 1 John Mabee Stakes at Del Mar during the summer.
MORE HORSE RACING HEADLINES
- Strong cast assembled for $1.25 million Travers
- 'Wildcat' cuts back in distance for King's Bishop
- Ballerina and 'Ballston' enhance awesome card
- Bakers dozen showcase strong DM Handicap
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
November 6 & 7
• Zenyatta wins Classic, stays perfect
• Conduit repeats in Breeders' Cup Turf
• Longshot Furthest Land takes Dirt Mile
• Goldikova repeats in BC Mile
• Vale of York stuns Juvenile field
• Dancing in Silks upsets Sprint
• California Flag flies in Turf Sprint
• Pounced jumps on Juvenile Turf win
• Life is Sweet best in Ladies' Classic
• Informed Decision wins F&M Sprint
• Midday takes inside route in F&M Turf
• She Be Wild takes Juvenile Fillies
• Tapitsfly outduels in Juv. Fillies Turf
• Man of Iron captures BC Marathon