'Cat' works quicker than expected
Courageous Cat, a 3-year-old graded stakes winner, delightfully fooled jockey Garrett Gomez during a five-furlong turf workout at Santa Anita on Monday.
Just five days before the Breeders' Cup Mile here, Courageous Cat worked in 1:01, much quicker of a time than Gomez expected, considering the colt was working well off the inside rail, around temporary cones.
"That's a pretty good work around the dogs," Gomez said.
Trainer Bill Mott said he thought that Courageous Cat did as much sightseeing in his first work at Santa Anita as running.
"He looked a little lost by himself in his first time around there, kind of looking around," he said.
Owned by breeders Marty and Pam Wygod, Courageous Cat will be a longshot in the Mile. Courageous Cat won the Grade 2 Hall of Fame Stakes at Saratoga on Aug. 14 and was a closing third in the Grade 1 Jamaica Handicap at Belmont Park on Oct. 10.
Both of those races were over 1 1/8 miles on turf for 3-year-olds; the Mile will be Courageous Cat's first start against older horses.
The Mile is expected to have 11 starters, and is led by defending champion Goldikova, from France. The other probable starters are Court Vision, Cowboy Cal, Delegator, Ferneley, Gladiatorus, Justenuffhumor, Karelian, Whatsthescript, and Zacinto.
November 6 & 7
• Zenyatta wins Classic, stays perfect
• Conduit repeats in Breeders' Cup Turf
• Longshot Furthest Land takes Dirt Mile
• Goldikova repeats in BC Mile
• Vale of York stuns Juvenile field
• Dancing in Silks upsets Sprint
• California Flag flies in Turf Sprint
• Pounced jumps on Juvenile Turf win
• Life is Sweet best in Ladies' Classic
• Informed Decision wins F&M Sprint
• Midday takes inside route in F&M Turf
• She Be Wild takes Juvenile Fillies
• Tapitsfly outduels in Juv. Fillies Turf
• Man of Iron captures BC Marathon