TQHA Sires Cup scouting report
Saturday, June 13, Sam Houston Race Park
The Low-Down: Fastest TQHA Sires' Cup Futurity qualifier IVANSBAY will try to atone for Ruidoso Futurity fastest qualifier Running Brook Gal's gate misfortune when carrying the heavy favorite's role in the $129,420 futurity at Sam Houston on Saturday night.
Both IVANSBAY and Running Brook Gal are from the first crop of sire Brookstone Bay. Running Brook Gal lifted and broke slowly when finishing sixth in last Sunday's Ruidoso Futurity. It would take a similar mistake for IVANSBAY not to win the 350-yard TQHA Sires cup Futurity based on a powerful 1 1/2-length trial win in 17.53, which is .22 faster than second-fastest qualifier Special Pem.
Our Eyes: Let's look at some of the top contenders in post position order (with qualifying times).
1. MISCHKA (17.82): She will start from the rail and is undefeated in three starts. She posted a 1 1/4-length trial win over Bachelor In Gray, who had previously run fourth in a Heritage Place Futurity trial.
1A. PERRYPHERRY (17.81): She will start from post nine and has already finished third in the Grade 1 Retama Futurity. She posted a neck trial win over a field that included third-place finisher Eisenheim, who had previously finished fourth in the Retama Futurity.
3. IVANSBAY (17.53): He looks practically unbeatable based on his last two daylight wins. He sizzled to a 15.39 maiden win for 300 yards two outs ago at Delta Downs where he finished two lengths ahead of recent Louisiana maiden winner Taylors Toastin Papa.
5. SPECIAL PEM (17.75): He is the second-fastest qualifier who scored his maiden win by 1 1/4 lengths in the fourth trial. He had previously finished three lengths behind recent Heritage Place Futurity sixth-place finisher Too Tiny To Quit.
7. RUMBA CASINO (17.83): Like second-fastest qualifier Special Pem, it took this filly five races before she scored a 1 1/2-length maiden win in the seventh trial when nicely drawn on the far outside. She previously ran second vs. prior Oklahoma Futurity third-place finisher Illegal Fireworks.
9. ICY PATRIOT (17.89): He broke poorly and rallied to drop a nose decision vs. Kool Favorite when the even-money favorite in the first trial. He now draws favorably on the far outside and has not been worse than second in four outs.
The Bottom Line: IVANSBAY figures to crush based on his last two easy wins. I will put him on top of exactas over the entry, SPECIAL PEM and ICY PATRIOT.
Horseplayer PRO Alerts - live "horses to watch" e-mailed to your inbox every morning. This service is a simulcast player's dream. For a free one-week trial, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get more handicapping picks, analysis and tools at Horseplayerpro.com!