Drosselmeyer out of Mineshaft Handicap
Updated: February 14, 2011, 6:54 PM ETBy Marcus Hersh | Daily Racing Form
NEW ORLEANS -- Drosselmeyer's 4-year-old debut will be delayed while the horse recovers from a minor virus that infected him last week. The illness will prevent Drosselmeyer, winner of the 2010 Belmont Stakes, from shipping from trainer Bill Mott's Payson Park base in Florida to Fair Grounds for Saturday's Mineshaft Handicap, as had been planned. "He's better," Mott said Monday. "Just a little virus, I suppose." Drosselmeyer has not yet resumed training, and Mott said no specific race was yet being targeted for Drosselmeyer's comeback. "You've got to wait on him," said Mott. "When he's better and back on the track and breezing, then we can start to make decisions." Drosselmeyer has not raced since winning the Belmont last June. His connections intended to use the Mineshaft as a possible springboard to the Dubai World Cup.
MORE HORSE RACING HEADLINES
- Belle Gallantey upsets 'Princess' in Del 'Cap
- Ben's Cat gets third straight Parx Dash victory
- HOY Wise Dan gets first breeze since surgery
- Jockey Stevens set for surgery, plans return