Euthanized Kentucky Derby runner-up tests negative for steroids
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- A steroids test for filly Eight Belles has come back negative.
The Kentucky Horse Racing Authority announced Friday that test results showed no traces of steroids in the filly, who was euthanized moments after finishing second to Big Brown in the Kentucky Derby on May 3 after breaking ankles in both of her front legs.
Eight Belles and the other 19 horses in the Derby were also tested for improper medication levels, as was the entire field in the Kentucky Oaks, won by Eight Belles' stablemate Proud Spell. All of the medication tests came back negative.
An autopsy on Eight Belles completed earlier this week showed she had no diseases or pre-existing bone abnormalities before her breakdown.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE HORSE RACING HEADLINES
- Derby prospect Shared Belief injured, off trail
- Tapiture, Strong Mandate rubber match in Rebel
- Iotapa leads strong cast in G1 Santa Margarita
- Distaff runner-up Close Hatches returns in Azeri
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
THE TRIPLE CROWN
June 7 • Belmont Park
• Big Brown trainer Dutrow feeling 'like a loser'
• Big Brown appears OK day after stunning loss
• Da' Tara spoils Big Brown's bid for Triple Crown
• U.S. return likely for Casino Drive
• Triple Crown successes and failures
• Big Brown bids for history in Belmont
• Casino Drive scratched from Belmont Stakes
• Big Brown has patch applied Friday
• Prosecutors can't investigate Eight Belles' death
• Big Brown-Curlin matchup could be worth $5M
• Report: Big Brown to run without steroids
• Big Brown draws rail for Belmont Stakes
• Triple Crown spoilers since 1978
• Big Brown to stand at Three Chimneys
• Paulick: A humbling game
• Forde: Dutrow's Big Brown busts at Belmont
• Moran: New York roar stays pent up
• Cronley: Hard to understand a loser
• Cronley: Mopping up
• Moran: Stranger things have happened
• Paulick: Big Brown vs. Greatness
• Forde: Gangs of New York
• Plonk: Sign of the times
• Finley: Un-American
• Finley: Big Brown not great, yet
• Plonk: The Dutrow Projects
• Paulick: We've been here before