Big Brown to stand at Three Chimneys
Kentucky Derby winner Big Brown will head for stud at Three Chimneys after his racing career, which the colt's owner, International Equine Acquisitions Holdings, has said will end with his 3-year-old season.
Big Brown, a Boundary colt who was to run in the Preakness Stakes late Saturday afternoon, went into the second leg of the Triple Crown undefeated in four starts. He won the Derby on May 3 by 4 3/4 lengths.
The stud deal reportedly puts Big Brown's total value at about $50 million. The deal with Three Chimneys, the Midway, Ky., nursery that also stands the 2004 Derby and Preakness winner, Smarty Jones, appeared to have fallen through on Thursday, when International Equine's founder and co-president, Michael Iavarone, issued a statement saying a hoped-for Preakness-week sale of the colt's breeding rights had been scrapped as "legal issues and time constraints proved too much to overcome."
According to an announcement made by NBC during Preakness coverage, Big Brown will be syndicated.
Bred by Monticule Farm in Kentucky, Big Brown is out of the Nureyev mare Mien.
MORE HORSE RACING HEADLINES
- Hoppertunity, Baffert spring upset in G2 Rebel S.
- Classy mare Close Hatches wires field in Azeri S.
- "Faith" rolls on Shabbos in G1 Santa Margarita S.
- Centre Court holds serve in G2 Honey Fox Stakes
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
THE TRIPLE CROWN
June 7 • Belmont Park
• Big Brown trainer Dutrow feeling 'like a loser'
• Big Brown appears OK day after stunning loss
• Da' Tara spoils Big Brown's bid for Triple Crown
• U.S. return likely for Casino Drive
• Triple Crown successes and failures
• Big Brown bids for history in Belmont
• Casino Drive scratched from Belmont Stakes
• Big Brown has patch applied Friday
• Prosecutors can't investigate Eight Belles' death
• Big Brown-Curlin matchup could be worth $5M
• Report: Big Brown to run without steroids
• Big Brown draws rail for Belmont Stakes
• Triple Crown spoilers since 1978
• Big Brown to stand at Three Chimneys
• Paulick: A humbling game
• Forde: Dutrow's Big Brown busts at Belmont
• Moran: New York roar stays pent up
• Cronley: Hard to understand a loser
• Cronley: Mopping up
• Moran: Stranger things have happened
• Paulick: Big Brown vs. Greatness
• Forde: Gangs of New York
• Plonk: Sign of the times
• Finley: Un-American
• Finley: Big Brown not great, yet
• Plonk: The Dutrow Projects
• Paulick: We've been here before