Gomez to ride Macho Again
Macho Again, the runner-up behind Big Brown in the Preakness, will be ridden by Garrett Gomez in the June 7 Belmont Stakes, it was announced Saturday by the colt's owners, the West Point Thoroughbreds syndicate.
Gomez, the Eclipse Award-winning jockey of 2007, will replace Julien Leparoux, who had ridden Macho Again in four of his last five races, including the Preakness.
"Julien has done a great job with him," said trainer Dallas Stewart, adding the decision to change was "based more on a home-court advantage for the rider."
Gomez is based primarily in New York for much of the year.
Macho Again is one of as many as 11 3-year-olds under consideration for the 140th Belmont, in which the unbeaten Big Brown will attempt to become the first horse in 30 years to sweep the Triple Crown.
The other prospects for the Belmont are Anak Nakal, Behindatthebar, Casino Drive, Denis of Cork, Icabad Crane, Ready's Echo, Spark Candle, Tale of Ekati, and Tomcito.
MORE HORSE RACING HEADLINES
- Obviously controls pace to win G2 American H.
- Irish import Tannery takes G2 Sheepshead S
- 'Cove' wins consecutive stakes in Louisville H.
- Imposing Grace springs upset in Arlington Matron
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
THE TRIPLE CROWN
June 7 • Belmont Park
• Big Brown trainer Dutrow feeling 'like a loser'
• Big Brown appears OK day after stunning loss
• Da' Tara spoils Big Brown's bid for Triple Crown
• U.S. return likely for Casino Drive
• Triple Crown successes and failures
• Big Brown bids for history in Belmont
• Casino Drive scratched from Belmont Stakes
• Big Brown has patch applied Friday
• Prosecutors can't investigate Eight Belles' death
• Big Brown-Curlin matchup could be worth $5M
• Report: Big Brown to run without steroids
• Big Brown draws rail for Belmont Stakes
• Triple Crown spoilers since 1978
• Big Brown to stand at Three Chimneys
• Paulick: A humbling game
• Forde: Dutrow's Big Brown busts at Belmont
• Moran: New York roar stays pent up
• Cronley: Hard to understand a loser
• Cronley: Mopping up
• Moran: Stranger things have happened
• Paulick: Big Brown vs. Greatness
• Forde: Gangs of New York
• Plonk: Sign of the times
• Finley: Un-American
• Finley: Big Brown not great, yet
• Plonk: The Dutrow Projects
• Paulick: We've been here before