Denis of Cork breezes at Churchill
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Denis of Cork, the likely third choice for the 140th Belmont Stakes, had his final prerace breeze when going a half-mile in 48.60 seconds over a fast track Monday morning at Churchill Downs.
With his Belmont jockey, Robby Albarado, in the saddle, Denis of Cork galloped out five furlongs in 1:01.60 in what trainer David Carroll had planned as a maintenance work. Denis of Cork had breezed five furlongs on the two previous Mondays at Churchill.
The latest work, said Carroll, was "just something nice to stretch his legs. I was very, very happy with what I saw today. Robby was very careful not to go too fast early. It was just a beautiful thing to watch. We're excited."
In his last start, Denis of Cork, owned by William and Suzanne Warren, closed strongly to finish third in the May 3 Kentucky Derby under Calvin Borel. The Harlan's Holiday colt figures as the third wagering choice Saturday in the Belmont behind a pair of unbeatens, Big Brown and Casino Drive.
Denis of Cork and one other Belmont prospect, Macho Again, were scheduled to be flown by charter Tuesday from Louisville to New York.
Macho Again, the Preakness runner-up, had his major prerace work Friday when breezing a half-mile in 48.20 at Churchill. He jogged two miles Monday morning.
MORE HORSE RACING HEADLINES
- Flashback heads likely G1 Malibu probables
- Trainer Brown takes two shots at Dania Beach
- Derby plan set for undefeated CashCall winner
- 'Diamante' wins Clasico del Caribe for Mexico
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
THE TRIPLE CROWN
June 7 • Belmont Park
• Big Brown trainer Dutrow feeling 'like a loser'
• Big Brown appears OK day after stunning loss
• Da' Tara spoils Big Brown's bid for Triple Crown
• U.S. return likely for Casino Drive
• Triple Crown successes and failures
• Big Brown bids for history in Belmont
• Casino Drive scratched from Belmont Stakes
• Big Brown has patch applied Friday
• Prosecutors can't investigate Eight Belles' death
• Big Brown-Curlin matchup could be worth $5M
• Report: Big Brown to run without steroids
• Big Brown draws rail for Belmont Stakes
• Triple Crown spoilers since 1978
• Big Brown to stand at Three Chimneys
• Paulick: A humbling game
• Forde: Dutrow's Big Brown busts at Belmont
• Moran: New York roar stays pent up
• Cronley: Hard to understand a loser
• Cronley: Mopping up
• Moran: Stranger things have happened
• Paulick: Big Brown vs. Greatness
• Forde: Gangs of New York
• Plonk: Sign of the times
• Finley: Un-American
• Finley: Big Brown not great, yet
• Plonk: The Dutrow Projects
• Paulick: We've been here before