Win Willy out with ankle crack
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Win Willy, the Rebel Stakes winner, has the beginnings of a fracture in his left front pastern and will not run in Saturday's 135th Kentucky Derby, trainer Mac Robertson said Wednesday morning.
"We took X-rays and on one of the X-rays there's a small line in the pastern going up into the ankle," Robertson said. "Three out of the four vets who looked at the X-ray said it looks like something that could spiral up into the cannon bone. He's not off on it, he's not sore, but there's something that's getting started. Most things start out as little problems and if you look away they become big problems."
Entries for the Derby were to be taken at noon on Wednesday. With Win Willy out, a field of 19 is expected.
THE TRIPLE CROWN
Belmont Park • June 6 • ABC 5 p.m. ET
More Triple Crown
• Summer Bird upsets Belmont | Gallery
• Mine That Bird 2-1 favorite at Belmont
• Borel: 'We're going to win it'
• Mine That Bird turns in 'perfect' work
• Rachel Alexandra poses for Vogue
• Summer Bird puts in sharp work
• Desormeaux takes another shot
• 'Rachel' wins 134th Preakness Stakes
• Mine That Bird upsets Derby | Gallery
• Rachel Alexandra dominates Oaks | Gallery
• NTRA.com: Ky. Derby | Preakness | Belmont
• Summer Bird takes Belmont Stakes
• Borel denied | Desormeaux elated
• Cronley: State of the Union
• Novak: Birds of a feather
• Moran: Belmont tests champions, humility
• Forde: Borel's star rising | Questionable move
• Novak: Easy to fall in love with racing
• Cronley: Belmont Q&A from the e-mail circuit
• Novak: Summer Bird ready to fly | Pressure
• Plonk: Hall of Fame calls Calvin
• Jay Hovdey blog