Rosier gets first Derby mount
Jockey Chris Rosier rode at Lone Star last weekend and has since been at Churchill Downs, where he will be aboard Summer Bird in Saturday's Kentucky Derby. It will be the first mount in the storied race for the 28-year-old rider, who later this month will be based at Louisiana Downs.
Rosier has been aboard Summer Bird in each of his starts, all at Oaklawn. The horse won his maiden in his two-turn debut March 19, then stepped up and finished third, 1 1/4 lengths behind winner Papa Clem, in the Grade 2, $1 million Arkansas Derby on April 11.
"He ran well," Rosier said. "He put himself where he wanted to and he came closing, and a little bit more ground, I think he was there.
"He's so mature for a young age. He only has three starts, but the colt runs like he's been doing it forever. He's got a well-settled mind to him, as far as when he runs. He relaxes for you.
"I'm excited about the race. I think he's handled the track well, really well, and I look for him to improve. He'll show up."
Tim Ice trains Summer Bird, who races for K.K. and Vilasini Jayaraman.
MORE HORSE RACING HEADLINES
- Shared Belief headlines strong cast in G1 Malibu
- Talented fillies showcased in G1 La Brea at SA
- Speechify takes class jump in G3 Mr. Prospector
- Divine Oath gives Pletcher ace in G3 McKnight
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
THE TRIPLE CROWN
Belmont Park • June 6 • ABC 5 p.m. ET
More Triple Crown
• Summer Bird upsets Belmont | Gallery
• Mine That Bird 2-1 favorite at Belmont
• Borel: 'We're going to win it'
• Mine That Bird turns in 'perfect' work
• Rachel Alexandra poses for Vogue
• Summer Bird puts in sharp work
• Desormeaux takes another shot
• 'Rachel' wins 134th Preakness Stakes
• Mine That Bird upsets Derby | Gallery
• Rachel Alexandra dominates Oaks | Gallery
• NTRA.com: Ky. Derby | Preakness | Belmont
• Summer Bird takes Belmont Stakes
• Borel denied | Desormeaux elated
• Cronley: State of the Union
• Novak: Birds of a feather
• Moran: Belmont tests champions, humility
• Forde: Borel's star rising | Questionable move
• Novak: Easy to fall in love with racing
• Cronley: Belmont Q&A from the e-mail circuit
• Novak: Summer Bird ready to fly | Pressure
• Plonk: Hall of Fame calls Calvin
• Jay Hovdey blog