Quality Road resumes training
Quality Road, who missed the Kentucky Derby due to a quarter crack, resumed training, galloping 1 1/4 miles on the training track Sunday and the equivalent of 1 1/4 miles in the barn of Allen Jerkens on Monday. Allen is the father of Jimmy Jerkens, the trainer of Quality Road.
Quality Road galloped in the barn on Monday due to the wet conditions of both the training and main tracks at Belmont.
"I'd rather not put too much concussion on that foot for a while," Jimmy Jerkens said.
Jerkens said that noted equine hoof specialist Ian McKinlay put in a new set of laces to stabilize the crack over the weekend but did not re-patch the area. Quality Road also had a bar shoe put on.
"We're going to go without a patch for awhile, because we haven't had any luck patching him," Jerkens said.
There are no real plans for Quality Road at this time. Jerkens has previously said that everything would have to go perfect for him to make the Belmont Stakes on June 6.
MORE HORSE RACING HEADLINES
- Shared Belief headlines strong cast in G1 Malibu
- Talented fillies showcased in G1 La Brea at SA
- Speechify takes class jump in G3 Mr. Prospector
- Divine Oath gives Pletcher ace in G3 McKnight
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
THE TRIPLE CROWN
Belmont Park • June 6 • ABC 5 p.m. ET
More Triple Crown
• Summer Bird upsets Belmont | Gallery
• Mine That Bird 2-1 favorite at Belmont
• Borel: 'We're going to win it'
• Mine That Bird turns in 'perfect' work
• Rachel Alexandra poses for Vogue
• Summer Bird puts in sharp work
• Desormeaux takes another shot
• 'Rachel' wins 134th Preakness Stakes
• Mine That Bird upsets Derby | Gallery
• Rachel Alexandra dominates Oaks | Gallery
• NTRA.com: Ky. Derby | Preakness | Belmont
• Summer Bird takes Belmont Stakes
• Borel denied | Desormeaux elated
• Cronley: State of the Union
• Novak: Birds of a feather
• Moran: Belmont tests champions, humility
• Forde: Borel's star rising | Questionable move
• Novak: Easy to fall in love with racing
• Cronley: Belmont Q&A from the e-mail circuit
• Novak: Summer Bird ready to fly | Pressure
• Plonk: Hall of Fame calls Calvin
• Jay Hovdey blog