Desert Party to undergo surgery
Desert Party, the 14th-place finisher in the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs on Saturday, was diagnosed afterward with a displaced chip in his left front ankle and is scheduled to undergo surgery to have it removed, according to information posted on the website of his owners, Godolphin Racing.
"Obviously his injury contributed to his below-par run in the Kentucky Derby," Godolphin's racing manager, Simon Crisford, said on the site.
Crisford said the injury is not career-threatening and that Godolphin hoped to have Desert Party back in action before the end of the year. The stable hopes to campaign him as a 4-year-old, he added.
Godolphin has maintained a presence at Churchill since the Derby, but it was unclear Tuesday whether Desert Party already had been transported from the grounds to an equine clinic for surgery.
Desert Party spent the winter in Dubai, where he won 2 of 3 starts at Nad al Sheba for trainer Saeed bin Suroor. The colt was second in the UAE Derby to a Godolphin stablemate, Regal Ransom, who also ran Saturday in the Derby, prompting the pace before fading to eighth.
THE TRIPLE CROWN
Belmont Park • June 6 • ABC 5 p.m. ET
More Triple Crown
• Summer Bird upsets Belmont | Gallery
• Mine That Bird 2-1 favorite at Belmont
• Borel: 'We're going to win it'
• Mine That Bird turns in 'perfect' work
• Rachel Alexandra poses for Vogue
• Summer Bird puts in sharp work
• Desormeaux takes another shot
• 'Rachel' wins 134th Preakness Stakes
• Mine That Bird upsets Derby | Gallery
• Rachel Alexandra dominates Oaks | Gallery
• NTRA.com: Ky. Derby | Preakness | Belmont
• Summer Bird takes Belmont Stakes
• Borel denied | Desormeaux elated
• Cronley: State of the Union
• Novak: Birds of a feather
• Moran: Belmont tests champions, humility
• Forde: Borel's star rising | Questionable move
• Novak: Easy to fall in love with racing
• Cronley: Belmont Q&A from the e-mail circuit
• Novak: Summer Bird ready to fly | Pressure
• Plonk: Hall of Fame calls Calvin
• Jay Hovdey blog