'Rachel' draws outside for Preakness
BALTIMORE -- Thirteen horses were entered in the 134th Preakness Stakes just after 5 p.m. on Wednesday, and the last to load will be the favorite, the filly Rachel Alexandra. Kentucky Oaks winner Rachel Alexandra, with Calvin Borel named to ride, drew the outside stall, and was installed by Pimlico linemaker Frank Carulli as the 8-5 favorite.
Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird drew post 2, and was made the co-third choice at odds of 6-1 with Mike Smith named to ride.
Pioneerof the Nile is the second choice at odds of 5-1 on Carulli's line, and will break from post 9 under Garrett Gomez.
The other horse at 6-1 is Friesan Fire, 18th as the favorite in the Derby. Friesan Fire drew post 5, and will be ridden again by Gabriel Saez.
Big Drama seemed the most likely pacesetter even before the draw, and now seems sure to go to the front after drawing the rail. Big Drama, who will be ridden by John Velazquez and races with blinkers off, was made a 10-1 choice.
Rachel Alexandra won from the outside stall in a nine-horse field last fall at Keeneland, and her tactical speed should allow her to get decent position despite the wide draw.
$1.1 million Preakness Stakes
|1||Big Drama||J. Velazquez||D. Fawkes||10-1|
|2||Mine That Bird||M. Smith||B. Woolley Jr.||6-1|
|3||Musket Man||E. Coa||D. Ryan||8-1|
|4||Luv Gov||J. Theriot||D.W. Lukas||50-1|
|5||Friesan Fire||G. Saez||L. Jones||6-1|
|6||Terrain||J. Rose||A. Stall Jr.||30-1|
|7||Papa Clem||R. Bejarano||G. Stute||12-1|
|8||General Quarters||J. Leparoux||T. McCarthy||20-1|
|9||Pioneerof the Nile||G. Gomez||B. Baffert||5-1|
|10||Flying Private||A. Garcia||D.W. Lukas||50-1|
|11||Take the Points||E. Prado||T. Pletcher||30-1|
|12||Tone It Down||K. Desormeaux||W. Komlo||50-1|
|13||Rachel Alexandra||C. Borel||S. Asmussen||8-5|
MORE HORSE RACING HEADLINES
- Obviously controls pace to win G2 American H.
- Irish import Tannery takes G2 Sheepshead S
- 'Cove' wins consecutive stakes in Louisville H.
- Hogy rallies to score in G3 Hanshin Cup Stakes
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
THE TRIPLE CROWN
Belmont Park • June 6 • ABC 5 p.m. ET
More Triple Crown
• Summer Bird upsets Belmont | Gallery
• Mine That Bird 2-1 favorite at Belmont
• Borel: 'We're going to win it'
• Mine That Bird turns in 'perfect' work
• Rachel Alexandra poses for Vogue
• Summer Bird puts in sharp work
• Desormeaux takes another shot
• 'Rachel' wins 134th Preakness Stakes
• Mine That Bird upsets Derby | Gallery
• Rachel Alexandra dominates Oaks | Gallery
• NTRA.com: Ky. Derby | Preakness | Belmont
• Summer Bird takes Belmont Stakes
• Borel denied | Desormeaux elated
• Cronley: State of the Union
• Novak: Birds of a feather
• Moran: Belmont tests champions, humility
• Forde: Borel's star rising | Questionable move
• Novak: Easy to fall in love with racing
• Cronley: Belmont Q&A from the e-mail circuit
• Novak: Summer Bird ready to fly | Pressure
• Plonk: Hall of Fame calls Calvin
• Jay Hovdey blog