Preakness: Conveyance out; 'Lucky' in

Updated: May 7, 2010, 11:07 PM ET
By Jay Privman | Daily Racing Form



Conveyance, who finished 15th in the Kentucky Derby, on Friday was taken out of consideration for the Preakness by trainer Bob Baffert, who still is pointing Lookin At Lucky to the Preakness.

There is a strong chance there could be a jockey replacement on Lookin At Lucky, who has been ridden by Garrett Gomez. Martin Garcia, who rode Conveyance, is "still on hold with Mr. Baffert" for the Preakness and other races that day at Pimlico, said Garcia's agent, Jim Pegram.

Baffert was not happy with Gomez's ride in the Kentucky Derby, nor in the Santa Anita Derby in his prior start. Pegram is the brother of Mike Pegram, a co-owner of Lookin At Lucky.

"Everything's on hold," Jim Pegram said. "I haven't received any word from Bob."

If Gomez loses the mount on Lookin At Lucky, that could set off a domino effect regarding other Preakness mounts, since a jockey of Gomez's reputation surely would be pursued by other parties. Trainer D. Wayne Lukas, for instance, has two runners in the race, and right now has Terry Thompson named on Dublin but has no rider named for Northern Giant.

Noble's Promise headed to Royal Ascot

Noble's Promise has been ruled out of the Preakness and will be pointed instead to a race at the Royal Ascot meet in England in June, trainer Ken McPeek said Friday.

Noble's Promise had been considered as a possible starter for the 135th Preakness after finishing fifth in the Kentucky Derby last Saturday, but McPeek said the more prudent decision is not to rush into that race and to wait instead for the June 15 St. James Palace at Ascot, a Group 1 race at about a mile on the turf.

Noble's Promise led past the quarter pole in the Derby before fading to fifth behind the victorious Super Saver.

- additional reporting by Marty McGee