Backing the Belmont
Going into Saturday's Belmont Stakes, the focus is rightly on Kentucky Derby winner Animal Kingdom and Preakness Stakes winner Shackleford.Although no Triple Crown is on the line, it is good for the sport that these two horses are competing against each other again and that they are both completing the entire race series.The most common question I have heard this week besides "Who do you think will win?" is "Are you going to be there?" The answer to the first is Animal Kingdom, and the answer to the second is no.
Part of me wondered if it is hypocritical to skip the Belmont since I know I would be there if Animal Kingdom had managed to catch Shackleford at the wire three weeks ago.
To this day, I remain grateful that none of the neighbors called the cops that afternoon.
THE TRIPLE CROWN
• 'Lucky' ends Triple Crown bid in Preakness
• Desormeaux defends Derby stretch ride
• Eskendereya retired; Jess Jackson buys in
• Eskendereya cruises in the Wood Memorial
• Drosselmeyer's feet seem OK after work
• Belmont: First Dude could be one to catch