What's your tennis IQ?
So you believe you're a staunch tennis aficionado? We put your lore to the test in our 2009 holiday quiz.
1. It was quite a year for Roger Federer, who achieved all the following landmarks except:
A. Career Slam
B. Record 15 Grand Slams
C. Record 20 ATP Masters/Year-end championship events
D. A record for most weeks at No. 1 -- Federer is still 23 short of Pete Sampras' record of 286 weeks.
2. Which player did Roger Federer not play a five-set match against this season?
3. Serena Williams ended the season at No. 1, thanks largely to strong Grand Slam performances that included titles at the Australian Open and Wimbledon. She also captured the year-end Sony Ericsson Championships in Doha, her first victory at a regular WTA Tour event since:
A. Charleston, April 2008
B. Beijing, October 2008
C. Miami, March 2009
D. Cincinnati, August 2009
4. Serena Williams now has 11 Grand Slam titles, more than anyone in the Open era except for how many players?
C. 3 -- Steffi Graf, Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert (Margaret Court also won 11 in the Open era)
5. Money appeared to be playing on Serena Williams' mind as much as titles this year. Associate the below dollar amounts with the significance of the event:
A. The record for prize money in a single season set by Serena this year
B. The fine Serena avoided when she decided to play Madrid despite being injured
C. Serena's current career earnings, a record in women's sports
D. The amount Serena was fined for her U.S. Open outburst
6. Which of the following tennis-golf romantic pairings did not last the year?
7. Which two of the following WTA-ATP romantic pairings did not last the year?
8. Last year, Rafael Nadal became the first ATP player to record the French Open-Wimbledon double since Bjorn Borg in 1980. This year, his Australian Open title made him the first man to simultaneously hold majors on clay, grass and hard courts since:
A. No one
B. Andre Agassi
C. Mats Wilander
D. Roger Federer
9. Robin Soderling's win over Rafael Nadal at the French Open this year was the most significant upset of the season. Which of Nadal's streaks was broken by the defeat?
A. His unbeaten record at the French Open
B. His unbeaten record in best-of-five matches on clay
C. His record of winning at least four titles on clay every year since 2005
D. All of the above
10. Juan Martin del Potro was the breakout player of the year on the men's tour, winning his first Grand Slam at the U.S. Open. The 21-year-old also recorded his first win over each of the Big Four this season except:
A. Roger Federer
B. Rafael Nadal
C. Novak Djokovic -- lost their only meeting this year in the Rome quarterfinals
D. Andy Murray
11. In his recently released autobiography, Andre Agassi caused a sensation by admitting that he had been addicted to crystal meth in 1997. What drugs did the following men's Grand Slam champions admit to using in their autobiographies?
A. John McEnroe (marijuana)
B. Pat Cash (marijuana, cocaine and ecstasy)
C. Boris Becker (addiction to sleeping pills)
12. What explanations did the following tennis players give for their positive tests this season (and what penalties did they receive)?
A. Yanina Wickmayer for not fulfilling "whereabouts" requirements (not notified; one-year suspension under appeal)
B. Richard Gasquet for cocaine (contamination via a nightclub kiss -- 10 weeks)
C. Ivo Minar for methylhexanamine (contaminated nutritional supplement -- eight months)
D. Filippo Volandri for salbutamol (asthma attack -- three months, reduced to zero on appeal)
13. Which former WTA great lost in the first round of a celebrity dancing competition this year?
A. Monica Seles
B. Martina Hingis
C. Jennifer Capriati
D. A and B -- Seles went out in the first round of "Dancing with the Stars," and Hingis likewise in the British show "Strictly Come Dancing"
14. How many teenagers are currently ranked in the ATP Top 100?
15. There are 12 teenagers in the WTA Top 100. How many of the WTA Top 100 are older than 30 years old?
16. Kim Clijsters made a big splash when she won the U.S. Open just three events into her return to the tour after marriage and motherhood. Clijsters became the sixth mother to win a major tennis history -- who was the last?
A. Sarah Palfrey Cooke
B. Margaret Court
C. Chris Evert
D. Evonne Goolagong -- Goolagong won Wimbledon in 1980 three years after having her first child
17. Justine Henin decided to join the comeback fray, announcing that she would rejoin the tour next season. What did she say was the inspiration for her return?
A. Fellow Belgian Kim Clijsters' comeback success
B. Roger Federer's French Open win
C. The disorder at the top of the women's game
D. Realizing show business wasn't for her
18. Serena Williams managed to end the year ranked No. 1 in singles, but she and sister Venus were not No. 1 in doubles despite winning three of the four doubles Grand Slams. Which team finished in the top spot?
19. The Bryan brothers won the last ATP event of the season to grab the year-end No. 1 spot in men's doubles. How many tournament victories are they from the team record of 61 titles set by the Woodies?
20. Match the players in these top doubles teams to their new full-time partners next year:
A. Mardy Fish
B. Lisa Raymond
C. Max Mirnyi
D. Jonathan Erlich
21. The ATP reportedly will tighten up its medical timeout rules next season. This year on the WTA Tour, players who took more than six medical timeouts were charged $100 to $300 for each additional timeout. How big was the drop in the number of timeouts taken?
B. 10 percent
C. 25 percent
D. More than 25 percent -- timeouts were down 28 percent. (Coincidence, or are players really that cheap?)
22. New WTA Roadmap changes offered more prize money and toughened penalties for withdrawing from tournaments. The average number of pullouts went from six per tournament in 2008 to how many this year?
A. Still 6
23. Controversial ATP CEO Etienne de Villiers left his post at the end of last year, but his plans for change continued to be implemented this season. Which one didn't make it through?
A. New names -- "ATP World Tour," "Masters 1000," "500" and "250" events
B. Reducing prize money in some of the earlier rounds of tournaments
C. Removing Hamburg as a Masters event
D. Printing "ATP World Tour" on the net
24. Roger Federer crying after the Australian Open final made headlines around the world. Which matches made these other players shed tears this year?
A. Rafael Nadal (reaching match point in the Australian Open semis against Fernando Verdasco)
B. Vera Zvonareva (wasting seven match points in the U.S. Open fourth round against Flavia Pennetta)
C. Dinara Safina (retiring in her first match in Doha with a back injury, thus losing her chance at No. 1)
E. Juan Martin del Potro (winning the U.S. Open final)
25. The 5-hour, 14-minute Australian Open semifinal between Rafael Nadal and Fernando Verdasco was one of the great matches of the season. But which of the following reported facts about the match wasn't actually true?
A. The match was recorded as 5 hours, 14 minutes long
B. It was the longest match in Australian Open history
C. It was the longest match of the tournament
D. All of the above (Try following this comedy of errors: The umpire's scorecard incorrectly recorded the time of the match as 5 hours, 10 minutes. After a short delay, the correct time was determined, and it was announced that Nadal and Verdasco had broken the 5-hour, 11-minute singles record set in 1991 by Boris Becker and Omar Camporese. However, there already had been a longer match earlier in the tournament -- Gilles Muller and Feliciano Lopez went about 5½ hours in their 6-3, 7-6(5), 4-6, 4-6, 16-14 contest in the first round. But it went unnoticed because of a timekeeping glitch affecting the tournament that day. As a result, the scorecard incorrectly recorded the Muller-Lopez match as lasting only 4 hours, 22 minutes.
Kamakshi Tandon is a freelance tennis writer for ESPN.com.
MORE TENNIS HEADLINES
- Djokovic, Serena win ITF awards for 2013
- Former champ Becker to coach Djokovic
- Murray to return next week in Abu Dhabi
- Agent behind 'Decision' has hand in IMG deal