<
>

Beck to appeal two-year doping ban to ITF

2/14/2006 - Tennis

BRATISLAVA, Slovakia -- Karol Beck of Slovakia plans to
appeal his two-year ban imposed by the International Tennis
Federation for a positive steroid test during last year's Davis Cup
semifinal.

Tibor Macko, the president of Slovakia's tennis federation, said
Tuesday that Beck plans to appeal the ban imposed the day before by
the ITF.

"We believe that [Beck] didn't use the substance consciously,"
Macko said.

The 23-year-old Beck returned a positive test for clenbuterol
after Slovakia's 4-1 win over Argentina on Sept. 24. Beck won both
his singles and doubles for Slovakia, which reached its first final
before losing to Croatia.

The ITF said the suspension would be backdated until Nov. 1,
2005, and run until Oct. 31, 2007.

Beck's results in the semifinal are automatically disqualified,
although the overall result of the tie will not be reassessed.
Beck's ranking points and $42,935 in prize money since the test are
forfeited.

Beck, ranked No. 85, denied any wrongdoing.

"I never in my life have been doping and never will," Beck
told Slovak media.