Coria, Gaudio ousted in first round of Movistar Open

1/28/2008 - Tennis

VINA DEL MAR, Chile -- Former champion Guillermo Coria, competing in his first ATP-level match since the 2006 U.S. Open,
lost to Pablo Cuevas 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 Monday in the first round of the
Movistar Open.

Gaston Gaudio, the 2006 champion, lost to Santiago Ventura 6-3,
6-0. Juan Pablo Brzezicki upset sixth-seeded Oscar Hernandez 7-6
(4), 6-1, and Sergio Roitman rallied to beat No. 8 Nicolas Massu of
Chile 6-7 (3), 7-6 (4), 6-3.

Coria, who won the first of his nine titles in 2001, quit the tour
after struggling with his serve and confidence. He was sidelined
with an injured right shoulder until the end of last year, when he
played in two challenger tournaments. He has a protected ranking of
105, good for nine months or eight tournaments.

Still, Coria said he was satisfied with his play Monday and
that he's not thinking of retiring.

"I have never thought of retirement," Coria said. "While I
had lost my wish of playing, I can tell you now that I feel in good
rhythm and that I'm confident that in my next tournament, I will do
my very best to win."

"I played very few tournaments last year and that of course
takes its toll, but now I feel more confident and little by little
I'm recovering my physical condition," he said.

Fellow Argentine Gaudio hasn't won an ATP-level match since last
May at the French Open. He is considering retirement.

"Things are not working as I wish, I can't understand what's
going on," Gaudio said. "These are not good times for me and with
these results. I'm thinking more about quitting than going on.

"I've been like this for about a year now, I did not feel well
on the court."

Gaudio, ranked No. 183, needed a wild-card entry. He said he
won't make a decision on retirement until next month.