MONACO -- Roger Federer has accepted a last-minute wild-card invitation to play in the Monte Carlo Masters next week.
The second-ranked Federer is a three-time finalist at the clay-court tournament but has never won. Last year, Rafael Nadal beat Federer 7-5, 7-5 in the final.
Nadal will be going for his fifth straight title at the tournament in Monaco, which will include nine of the top 10 players. Only sixth-ranked Andy Roddick will miss the event.
Tournament director Zeljko Franulovic said Thursday that "we never gave up hope that [Federer] would be present."
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE TENNIS HEADLINES
- Hewitt grinds out 3-set win at Indian Wells
- Murray says back feeling better after surgery
- Djokovic, Bryans win in MSG exhibition event
- Davenport, Bollettieri elected to Tennis Hall
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM