Nadal training again after injury layoff

Updated: July 21, 2009, 10:19 AM ET
ESPN.com news services

MADRID -- Rafael Nadal began training Monday for the first time since being sidelined by a knee injury.

Nadal has been out of action with tendinitis in his right knee since losing to Robin Soderling in the fourth round of the French Open, where the Spaniard had been the four-time defending champion.

"It was just a small dose of contact without too much force, just enough to see how I am feeling," the 23-year-old Spaniard said of the 75-minute session at the tennis club in his home town of Manacor on the island of Majorca.

Nadal is hoping to resume playing at next month's Montreal Masters. He was unable to defend his Wimbledon title, and Roger Federer won his record 15th Grand Slam trophy and retook the No. 1 ranking.

"We still have to be cautious and in a week and a half we will know more. But I am pleased," he added in a statement on his Web site.

Nadal is returning from a leg problem for the third time since October.

"I am happy to return to training, to have the racket in my hand again and do what I like doing," he said.

Information from The Associated Press and Reuters was used in this report.

ALSO SEE