Del Potro out of Kooyong semifinals

Updated: January 14, 2010, 5:35 PM ET
Associated Press

MELBOURNE, Australia -- Juan Martin del Potro has pulled out of the Kooyong exhibition tournament with a wrist injury just days before the start of the Australian Open.

The U.S. Open champion was scheduled to play a Friday semifinal against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga but informed tournament director Colin Stubs that he would not be able to compete.

It was not immediately clear how serious the injury was or whether it would threaten his participation in the Australian Open, which begins Monday.

Del Potro's agent, Ugo Colombini, said that although he had not yet traveled to Australia to be with the 21-year-old Argentine player, he did not believe the injury was serious.

"I don't think there is any risk" of del Potro missing the season's first major, Colombini told The Associated Press in a phone interview from Milan, Italy. "I think more than anything it is a precaution with the Australian Open so close. I don't think there is any problem."

At the Shanghai Masters in October, del Potro retired in the second round because of right wrist tendinitis. Del Potro had already qualified for the season-ending championship and played that tournament in November, where he lost to Nikolay Davydenko in the final.


Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

ALSO SEE