Nadal, Del Potro to play in Thailand

Updated: July 22, 2010, 12:25 PM ET
Associated Press

BANGKOK -- Top-ranked Rafael Nadal and U.S. Open champion Juan Martin del Potro will play in the upcoming Thailand Open, organizers said Thursday.

Nadal, the reigning Wimbledon and French Open champion, withdrew from last year's Thailand Open because of an abdominal injury.

"This year with my health and body in good shape, I am really looking forward to playing some great tennis for the Thai fans," Nadal said in a statement issued by organizers of the Sept. 24-Oct. 3 indoor tournament at Bangkok's Impact Arena.

Del Potro has been sidelined for several months because of surgery on his right wrist. He's likely to defend his U.S. Open title after being placed on the provisional entry list for the tournament on Thursday.


Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

ALSO SEE