Roddick's serve too much for Nadal

Updated: September 4, 2004, 12:07 AM ET
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Defending champion Andy Roddick, overcoming the third-set distraction of his diatribe directed at the chair umpire, beat 18-year-old Rafael Nadal of Spain 6-0, 6-3, 6-4 on Friday to get to the third round of the U.S. Open.

Roddick tied his Open record with a 152 mph serve that made Nadal whiff and, after losing the opening two points, won 23 of 27 to seize control. One of Roddick's big serves caught Nadal in the lip, and another left the teen tumbling. Roddick hit the deck once, too, scraping skin off his hand as he slipped while charging the net.

His biggest problem was staying focused. Roddick noticed pal Rulon Gardner, a 2000 Olympic gold medalist wrestler, in the stands. And he expended some energy yelling at chair umpire Andreas Egli for calling a let when a ball dribbled out of Roddick's pocket during a point in the third set.

Roddick got broken once in that set, then won the last four games.

"I played really well for the first two sets; kind of had a concentration lapse in the third," Roddick said. "But I was able to come through in the end."

Juan Carlos Ferrero's difficult year became more disappointing when the 2003 Open runner-up lost to Stefan Koubek in five sets in the second round.

It was a testy match, with Ferrero warned after hitting a ball out of the stadium and then penalized a point for yelling at an official. Ferrero did not shake hands with the chair umpire when he left the court after he was defeated 7-6 (2), 4-6, 6-7 (6), 6-2, 6-3.

Ferrero briefly was No. 1 in 2003, and lost to Andy Roddick in last year's Open final. But the former French Open champion was slowed by chickenpox and bruised ribs this season, dropping him to a No. 7 seeding, and felt pain in his right leg this time.

"It's frustrating. Of course, I'm not so happy this year,'' the Spaniard said. "This year will finish soon, and I want to forget this year."

Tommy Haas reasserted himself, beating No. 12 Sebastien Grosjean 6-4, 6-4, 1-6, 6-1. Haas was absent from the U.S. Open last year, missing the entire season after having two operations on his right shoulder.

The last time Haas played at this tournament, in 2002, he was told to change his cutoff muscle shirt -- it's now standard attire for a lot of players, though Haas did not wear one against Grosjean.

No. 8 David Nalbandian was a 6-7 (4), 6-4, 7-5, 2-6, 6-4 loser against Mikhail Youzhny.

Fourth-seeded Lleyton Hewitt, the 2001 Open champion and the 2002 Wimbledon winner, defeated Hicham Arazi 7-6 (7), 6-1, 6-2.

A day after joining the parade of Olympic tennis stars on their way out of the Open, double gold medalist Nicolas Massu was fined $1,000 for equipment abuse.

Massu lost to Sargis Sargsian 6-7 (6), 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (6), 6-4 Thursday. At 5 hours, 9 minutes, it was the second-longest match by time in Open history -- Stefan Edberg beat Michael Chang in a 1992 semifinal that lasted 17 minutes more.

Massu cracked his racket on a fence and slammed it to the court a few times. Chair umpire Carlos Ramos warned Massu in the first set, penalized him a point in the second set, and made the Chilean forfeit the opening game of the fifth set for his final tantrum.

The other three men's semifinalists in Athens also have lost: silver medalist Mardy Fish, bronze medalist Fernando Gonzalez and Taylor Dent.

Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press