Federer, Roddick reach men's final


WIMBLEDON, England -- Defending champion Roger Federer won a
third-set tiebreaker Saturday to complete a straight-set victory
over Sebastien Grosjean and reach the Wimbledon final against Andy Roddick.

The top-seeded Swiss star needed 29 minutes and four match
points to complete a 6-2, 6-3, 7-6 (6) win over the 10th-seeded
Frenchman, extending his grass-court winning streak to 23 matches.

The semifinal had been suspended with Federer two games from
victory -- 6-2, 6-3, 4-3 -- when play was suspended late Friday after
a day of rain delays.

"I'm very pleased," Federer said. "It's very difficult to
stop at such a moment of the match. I'm very relieved. You never
know what happens if he can turn it around."

The No. 2-seeded Roddick beat 20-year-old Mario Ancic of Croatia 6-4,
4-6, 7-5, 7-5. That match, which was suspended Friday evening with Roddick leading 6-4,
4-3, 30-40, resumed on Court 1. Ancic won the second set 6-4 and
Roddick took the third 7-5 before another rain interruption. When play resumed again Roddick won the fourth set.

Federer will be playing in his third Grand Slam final. After
winning Wimbledon last summer, he won the Australian Open in
February and took over the No. 1 ranking.

"This year has been fantastic for me" Federer said. "It's
still very difficult for me to understand why and how come that I'm
so dominant this year. But every match I go with the same attitude
out on the court. I'm a more complete player, more secure."

Federer's 23-match winning streak on grass ties him with
three-time champion John McEnroe and seven-time winner Pete
Sampras. Only Bjorn Bjorg (41 straight) had a longer run.

Federer has dropped only one set this tournament, against
Lleyton Hewitt in the semifinals, and lost serve just twice.

"My matches have been rather easy, so I couldn't make
somersaults," he said. "But I'm very happy to be again in the
finals and to have the chance now, finally, to defend my title."

Federer looked as if he might close the match quickly Saturday,
but he wound up fighting from behind -- including 4-0 in the
tiebreaker -- in blustery conditions.

Federer had two match points on Grosjean's serve at 5-4, but the
Frenchman saved both with service winners. Then Federer played a
loose game and Grosjean broke for the first time to go up 6-5.

But with Grosjean serving for the set, Federer settled down and
broke back, shouting "Come on!" after smacking a forehand
crosscourt pass for 6-6.

The momentum swung back and forth in the tiebreaker, with
Grosjean winning the first four points and Federer the next four.
Federer earned his third match point at 6-5, but hit a backhand
wide. He set up the fourth with a forehand volley, then converted
with an inside-out forehand approach followed by an overhead.

"I had to really fight hard to actually get to the
tiebreaker," Federer said. "I had two match points before the
tiebreak and didn't make them and suddenly he was serving for the
set in the third. I had to come back in a tiebreaker. Luckily for
me, I could turn it around."

Both players had 25 unforced errors, but Federer -- the best
all-around shotmaker in the game -- finished with 49 winners,
compared with 23 for Grosjean.