SportsNation Blog Archives Dwight Howard
Howard to face Lakers as a Rocket
The hype surrounding Thursday's Lakers versus Rockets game has much more to do with last season's Dwight Howard-Lakers saga than what will happen in the first of four matchups this season between the two teams. Howard's former coach and teammates have been asked about his decision to leave Los Angeles for Houston -- leading Pau Gasol to say you have to "respect" his decision. What will happen when Howard faces his former team for the first time since signing with the Rockets?
Dwight Howard goes off in debut
It looks like all Dwight Howard needed was a change of scenery. Coming off a disappointing season with the Lakers, Howard answered at least a few of his doubters with a 17-point, 26-rebound performance in his debut with the Rockets. Howard dismantled the Bobcats, leading his team to a 96-83 victory and looking like he and James Harden were born to play together, but will he keep it up over the full season?
Are Magic disrespecting Howard?
Two teams removed from the franchise with which he made his name, Dwight Howard is a little miffed. That's because the Orlando Magic are letting promising youngster Tobias Harris wear No. 12 -- the same number Howard donned before his contentious exit to Los Angeles. It's reportedly unclear whether Howard knows why Harris wears 12 -- as a tribute to a close friend who died of leukemia as a teenager. But to some that might not matter, after Howard all but forced his way out of the Sunshine State.
LeBron James has won four of the past five NBA Most Valuable Player awards -- Kevin Durant has placed second in three of those four years. Will this be the season Durant finally takes the crown as the league's best player, or is LeBron the favorite to become just the fourth player in NBA history to win three consecutive MVP awards? Where does the reigning scoring champion Carmelo Anthony fit in? Is young Kyrie Irving on your radar?
NBA MVP candidates
2012-13: 28.7 PPG, 2.6 APG, 6.9 RPG
2012-13: 22.9 PPG, 6.9 APG, 4.0 RPG
2012-13: 17.8 PPG, 9.9 RPG, 2.7 BPG
2012-13: 28.1 PPG, 4.6 APG, 7.9 RPG
2012-13: 17.4 PPG, 4.1 APG, 7.6 RPG
2012-13: 25.9 PPG, 5.8 APG, 4.9 RPG
2012-13: 17.1 PPG, 12.4 RPG, 2.4 BPG
2012-13: 22.5 PPG, 5.9 APG, 3.7 RPG
2012-13: 26.8 PPG, 7.3 APG, 8.0 RPG
2012-13: 20.3 PPG, 7.6 APG, 3.0 RPG
2012-13: 16.9 PPG, 9.7 APG, 3.7 RPG
2011-12: 21.8 PPG, 7.9 APG, 3.4 RPG
NBA releases 2013-14 schedule
The bad news: The NBA doesn't start for nearly three months. The good news: We know where and when that -- and all the other regular-season games -- will happen, as the league released its 2013-14 schedule on Tuesday. Opening night features a couple of marquee matchups, with the presumably Derrick Rose-ified Chicago Bulls visiting the defending-champion Miami Heat, and the surging Los Angeles Clippers facing the scuffling Los Angeles Lakers. Also on the docket: a typically packed Christmas Day, along with big reunions between Dwight Howard and the Lakers (Nov. 7) and the return of Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to Boston (Jan. 26).
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com
"SportsNation" on ESPN2!
Tickets To SportsNation
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATSTuesday, December 17Thursday, December 19
Friday, December 20
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Ivan Maisel
- 2:00 PMRavens with Hensley
- 2:00 PMNCAA FB with Kevin Gemmell
- 3:00 PMNHL with Barry Melrose
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Chris Harris
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Chatmon
- 4:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 5:00 PMWeAreSC's Garry Paskwietz
Monday, December 23
- 11:00 AMFantasy Sports' AJ Mass
- 11:00 AMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 11:40 AMUFC's Chris Weidman
- 12:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Rittenberg
- 1:00 PMNFL Insider Mike Sando
- 1:00 PMMLB Insider Keith Law
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Chris Low
- 2:00 PMNHL with Pierre LeBrun
- 2:00 PM49ers with Bill Williamson
- 2:00 PMMechelle Voepel on WNBA
- 2:00 PMFootball Insider Mel Kiper
- 2:00 PM'Hawks with Scott Powers
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Amin Elhassan
- 3:00 PMNCAA FB with Ted Miller
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Adelson
- 4:00 PMKC Joyner on Fantasy FB