SportsNation Blog Archives Joaquin Arias
The Baseball Project, a collection of musicians united by their love of the game, wrote a song called "Harvey Haddix" that included the lyric, "Now in history/only 17/have thrown a perfect game." That was back in 2008. Were they to sing it today, they'd have to update it to 22, including Matt Cain, who seriously threw the second perfect game of the season on Wednesday night. This is, quite frankly, absurd. Perfect games are supposed to be events that happen once a decade, not once a month. It has gotten to the point that we're yawning at mere one-hitters and barely acknowledging no-nos. What's next -- 27 pitches, 27 groundouts? Or maybe 27 strikeouts on 81 pitches? There are only so many songwriting hours in the day.
Is this a sign?
There have been gaps of whole decades in between perfect games, but Matt Cain barely waited at all after Philip Humber's perfecto.
Who'd be more nervous?
Third baseman Joaquin Arias stumbled a bit while fielding the final out. It's a credit to him that his long throw didn't end up in the stands.
Which would rather you see?
Josh Hamilton hit four home runs in a game this year, a feat that is actually rarer than a perfect game, especially after this absurd outburst.
"SportsNation" on ESPN2!
Tickets To SportsNation
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 11:00 AMNoleNation's David Hale
- 12:00 PMNFL with Dan Graziano
- 1:00 PMSweetSpot's Schoenfield
- 1:00 PMCubs, Sox with Levine
- 2:00 PMNFL blogger Kevin Seifert
- 2:00 PMGeauxTigerNation's Laney
- 2:00 PMBoxing with Brian Campbell
- 2:00 PMNHL with Katie Strang
- 2:00 PMNASCAR with Newton
- 3:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 4:00 PMNFL with James Walker
- 4:00 PMHornsNation's Strickland
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 12:00 PMDawgNation's David Ching
- 12:00 PMYanks with Wally Matthews
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 1:00 PMDallas' Jean-Jacques Taylor
- 1:30 PMNBA Insider Chad Ford
- 3:00 PMFantasy NASCAR Focus
- 4:00 PMGatorNation's Mike DiRocco
- 5:00 PMWeAreSC's Garry Paskwietz
- 11:00 AMFantasy Sports' AJ Mass
- 12:00 PMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 12:00 PMNFL with Paul Kuharsky
- 12:00 PMWolverineNation's Jennings
- 12:00 PMTideNation's Scarborough
- 12:00 PMBraves' P Craig Kimbrel
- 12:00 PMMets with Adam Rubin
- 1:00 PMMLB Insider Keith Law
- 1:00 PMNFL blogger Mike Sando
- 1:00 PMJohn Oreovicz on Indy 500
- 1:00 PMGiants with Youngmisuk
- 2:00 PMNASCAR with Terry Blount
- 2:00 PMJets with Rich Cimini
- 2:00 PMNHL with Barry Melrose
- 2:30 PMIndyCar's Ed Carpenter
- 3:00 PMBoxer Delvin Rodriguez
- 3:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 4:00 PMFootball Scientist KC Joyner